2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Pulsing during slow braking..... rotors or ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
tokey666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing during slow braking..... rotors or ABS?

Long story short, I just noticed (actually its been happening for a while now) that when I am slowing down, the truck pulses a little bit when I am slowing down slowly, and hit happens between the 20 and 0 mph marks.

Keep in mind, my steering wheel is not shaking, my brake pedal is NOT pulsing, but I can feel the truck kinda pulse a bit when I am slowing down.

If I hard brake, I have no problems.

Well, it about time for a brake change (60k) so I wanted to take care of everything at once.

Rotors have never been serviced, so I am thinking of replacing or at least turning them. (front ones anyway, back pads are still good)

Could this pulse I feel be because of the rotors, which may be warped? Or is it just the ABS doing it's job?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Brian_
Captain

mine does this too, ive come to the conclusion that i have warped rotors

Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my rotors replaced about 1.5 years after having the truck and it helped for about 3 months and its done it ever since...I think its just a trait you have to learn to get used to and minimize, at least thats what i've done, its done it now all 4+ years i've had the truck.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the rotors. Get 'em cut.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default better rotors yes you can

I installed a new set of rotors many years ago not sure who made them but I very rarely have that problem 8 years now they were called heavy duty truck rotors no slots or holes just a flat plain looking extra thick rotor also supposedly better cooling the way they were made.

I think using those fancy ceramic or full metallic pads can cause excessive heat so I think the semi metallic are the best for stopping warping of the rotors

Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Earlrabbit
Rookie

I had the same problem with mine pulsing so I replaced my fronts with some good Brembo rotors and the problem went away. There are those that say there's no such thing as warped rotors - what you're really feeling is a uneven layer of brake pad build-up on the rotors and that by removing the rotors and hitting them with a fine emery cloth going across the surface or at an angle on both sides you'll be able to remove that extra build-up and solve the problem. I've got the same pulsation on one of my other cars and I figure I've got nothing to lose so I'm going to give it a try.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default nice trick used many times

That’s a nice trick used many times by me in 6 years I have only turned my rotors maybe 1 time all the rest I just used that trick remove the glaze with some emery cloth and reinstall.

Your rotors don’t need to be perfect smooth and shiny I even have a few grooves but they work perfect for me.

Why cut the rotors all up just to see a shiny smooth surface if not warped just swap out the pads and go.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
tokey666

Just a follow-up from my original post.

I went ahead and had my front rotors turned and but new pads on. Well, no more pulsing! Just a smooth stop.

My pedal is a bit mushy now though. I have to press a bit harder to "brake", but I am guessing that is because of the smooth vs smooth. Once they wear in, I am hoping they will get better. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:27 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors are certainly warped. No way your abs should be doing anything unless you lock them up. Plus I'm almost certain you don't have front abs anyway. Only reason our trucks have rear abs is because the rear is so light even with moderate braking you could possibly lock them up w/out abs.

Brakes aren't expensive. I would buy new rotors and pads for the front. You don't need anything crazy or expensive at all. If you tow a lot you might want a little better set up but otherwise standard pads and rotors from any store (NAPA, Advance, whatever) will be perfectly fine. You don't need drilled/slotted rotors and carbon pads.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up You don't need anything crazy or expensive

You don't need anything crazy or expensive

Best advice ever given

Quick Reply: Pulsing during slow braking..... rotors or ABS?