2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Pulsing during slow braking..... rotors or ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by tokey666
Long story short, I just noticed (actually its been happening for a while now) that when I am slowing down, the truck pulses a little bit when I am slowing down slowly, and hit happens between the 20 and 0 mph marks.

Keep in mind, my steering wheel is not shaking, my brake pedal is NOT pulsing, but I can feel the truck kinda pulse a bit when I am slowing down.

If I hard brake, I have no problems.

Well, it about time for a brake change (60k) so I wanted to take care of everything at once.

Rotors have never been serviced, so I am thinking of replacing or at least turning them. (front ones anyway, back pads are still good)

Could this pulse I feel be because of the rotors, which may be warped? Or is it just the ABS doing it's job?
ABS doesn't engage unless your tires are losing grip, which I doubt you're doing while braking slowly. Don't turn rotors, the cost difference makes it not worth it. Turning means you end up with thinner rotors, which heat up and warp faster.

Tips for not warping....

Get high carbon rotors and/or slotted rotors. A combo of both is best.
Don't drive hard through standing water with your brakes hot.
If you brake hard and come to a stop , either keep rolling slowly, or shift into neutral and engage your parking brake for a bit. You don't want your pads clamped to a stationary hot rotor.
Use a torque wrench when tightening wheel lug nuts. Uneven torque mean uneven stresses.

Quick Reply: Pulsing during slow braking..... rotors or ABS?