2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck dies at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Termiux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies at low rpms

My dakota 97 v8 is dies at low rpms, when is hot, in the mornings before I use it it never happens. When it does if I step hard on the gas and suddenly take the foot of, the truck dies, sometimes it tries to stay on but not always manages to do it. Today I took a few spark plugs out and it turned out to have 4 out of 8 coated with oil. Not wet, but burnt oil, I also noticed I'm losing about a quart of oil a month.

Truck didn't use to have this problem a few months ago. I also check for code by turning the key 3 times. Only code I got was 12 (Battery disconnect I think). I unplugged the ground terminal and leave it for 5mins, then truck ran fine for a few days (3 or 4) then back to dying.

Not sure if the plugs means I need to redo rings my plenum is blown, any ideas?.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im sure your plenum is leaking. Take off your air hat and look down your throttle body and see if you have lots of oil down in there.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

When did you clean your throttle body last too?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Termiux

I clean the TB about a year ago. I just take a look down the tb theres is very little oil.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i had a problem like this but was only when I went into reverse backing out the drive way; then put in D and it would die. IAC was not operating properly; after cleaning it it fixed that issue.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Termiux

Hi, I follow you advice and I cleaned my IAC valve along with my TB this weekend, I'll be back to say if it helped, for the time being it looks like it's been fixed, time will tell

Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Termiux

jondakotaguy thx a lot! I told ya guys that I cleaned the TB on the weekend well truck is noticeable better, no more dying running great as usual thx!

The IAC wasn't all that dirty but the TB where the IAC goes was clogged I cleaned all the TB took me about 1 hour to take it apart clean it and put it back very easy

Thx guys!

Quick Reply: Truck dies at low rpms