2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Do I need to change my tranny fluid?2004 Dakota 5 Speed Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM
timmay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to change my tranny fluid?2004 Dakota 5 Speed Manual

Hey all,

My owners manual says I do not need to change the mopar fluid installed at the factory in my manual transmission, but I don't see how this could be true. I've read that a lot of folks on here have used the penzoil syncromesh fluid and had good results. What would you recommend? Also anyone know the capacity for my truck? Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Yes it does need it

It should be changed out every 5 to 8 years its cheap insurance anyway if you grind on your Dak off-roading more often also better to change to a better oil like Mobile 1 synthetic rated high by most people and in most auto stores you can use it in your rear Diff also you should change it about the same time changing the Diff oil is a little harder but not much just 10 or 12 bolts to remove or you can pump it out to change it but removing the Diff cover is better the Mobile 1 Trans and Diff oil stinks to high heaven but it works great but beware I can smell it in my truck at times on Hot days or hard usage but my sniffer is better than most people.

Checking that trans oil is a good thing to do every year just pop off the fill plug and stick a finger in if you get oil on the finger on the very top it ok but if you can’t feel or see oil on your finger its low.

This oil is cheap and easy to change out so try one oil if you don’t like the feel of the shifts you get change and try another one but I don’t recommend the Royal purple oil it can destroy certain setups so I would stay away from it Amsoil is supposed to be the best trans oil I think it’s called Gear Max heavy usage trans oil.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-03-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 PM
timmay

Thanks for the response Dakaz,

What weight of mobile 1 synthetic do you recommend using in the manual transmission? Good advice on the rear diff, I just changed that out with full synthetic front and back. 78K Miles right now.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Timmay,

It's not a bad idea to change the fluid but...

Chrysler is pretty adamant that the NV3500 use a specific MANUAL transmission fluid. It is not engine oil nor is it a gear oil designed for differentials. Engine oil is too light and gear oil can destroy the synchronizers.

Check the owners manual.

Pennzoil, Royal Purple, and Amsoil all make compatible "Syncromesh" fluids.

The fluid is not that cheap but you only use about 5 pints.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
timmay

Thanks Dan, the owners manual says to use Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid, part number 4874464, and I've read that a lot of folks are using the Pennzoil Syncromesh fluid and having good results. Why does the owners manual say not to replace the fluid?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Pennzoil Synchrmesh manual trans fluid in my transmission. It makes my transmission run very quietly and it shifts smooth as butter, no matter what the temperature might be. I change it about every 40,000 miles. Capacity is 2 quarts. I have read that the only manual trans fluid appoved to use in an NV 3500 is either the OEM Mopar synthetic which $15.00 to $20.00 per quart at the Dodge dealer or Pennzoil Synchromesh, which is about $7.50 at most any parts store. I have never used any other brand or type of manual trans fluid so I have no idea how they would perform or if they might be harmful to the transmission.

Jimmy

Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default Mobile 1

Mobile 1 been using it for 4 years now with no problems its 75 - 90 gear oil thats the stuff you need

Yes this is GEAR OIL GUYS the 75 - 90 not the 75 - 140

Read this test on gear oils http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Ge...te%20Paper.pdf

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-03-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:14 PM
timmay

Dakaz- here's my concerns about using that Mobile 1- 9o% of the post say to use syncromesh, and also the specs of Mobile 1 75-90 gear oil say Not recommended for automatic, manual or semiautomatic transmissions for which engine oil or automatic transmission fluids are recommended.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default yes

You say

Not recommended for automatic, manual or semiautomatic transmissions for which engine oil or automatic transmission fluids are recommended.
This is their info

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 is a supreme performance, synthetic, multi-purpose, SAE 75W-90 automotive gear lubricant designed to meet the highest level of performance requirements of modern passenger vehicles in all types of operating conditions, including limited slip applications, as well as delivering outstanding power transfer performance.

Compared to conventional hypoid gear lubricants, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 performs exceptionally well over a wide range of temperatures. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 achieves this through a unique proprietary formulation that delivers optimized viscosity as a function of temperature properties together with the highest level of inherent formulation stability and protects against thermal and oxidative degradation, wear and corrosion, and viscosity loss associated with premature shearing. It also can be used in extended service and for aiding in fuel economy performance.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.

I don’t see that anywhere? so you say its not recomended for anything?

He has a manual trans this is for a manual trans not automatic or anything that uses engine oil that’s correct

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-03-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default by the way

Any oil thats full synthetic is for all temps thats what synthetic was made for all temp ranges some are heaver than others but if it says full synthetic its for all temps

Yiks guys

Quick Reply: Do I need to change my tranny fluid?2004 Dakota 5 Speed Manual