2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3 fuel pumps later......

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 PM
kerrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 fuel pumps later......

hey all.
My wallet can not take anymore.
I have an '02 Dakota 4.7L QC and have been plagued with start up troubles for 2 years now.
Replaced the fuel pump, after trying other things such as coil packs, plugs, wires.
Ran great with new fuel pump for a few weeks and then showed misfire on cyl 1&5... replaced coil packs again. still hard start. replaced fuel pump, again good for a couple weeks then back to hard start conditions.

Told by chrysler the aftermarket pumps could be faulty and had mechanic replace with OEM pump. well got a week out of it and same kettle of fish.
I am fed up and need some advice before I snap. it costs me $460 plus labour for a fuel pump up here so I am an easy $1600.00 plus already and tired of this.
being pointed in the right direction would be really appreciated.

thanks
Kerrazy

Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Why the pumps?

Why have you been suspecting the fuel pumps what said fuel pumps?

Are they dying on you?

If so you need to find out why they are dying first.

Is the fuel Pressure stable maybe it’s the Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator that truck has one I think I don’t know the V8 at all but my 2.5L has one.

Did you ever get the fuel injectors checked out go to a good shop that removes them and cleans and checks them (in the truck cleaning only goes so far) if removed they can be observed to see how they work maybe that one is intermittent or just sprays bad.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 10-27-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 AM
kerrazy

Seems to be loss of fuel pressure. So was explained that the reg and pump are one unit. On intial install it starts right away, for a week or more then back to its old habits.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is; The tank is contaminated.
The pump is sucking the crud up from the bottom,
partially clogging the filter before the pump, helping the
pump run hot. (It's cooled by the fuel), Making it ALSO
run harder, burning it out. Could then cause it to run lean,
that could also lead to your misfire. -Boil-the-tank-out-.
Or, replace.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

I have the same problem - second pump. I can't believe that the tank is the problem... I also don'y want to pay minimum of $100.00 for the dealer to diagnose. The pressure is bleeding back from somewhere... I could send you a link to another forum documenting the same issue where the OP reneted a fuel pressure guage and narrowed it down to a couple of injectors. I don't have the option of renting a guage, nor do I want to buy one.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default vacume lines

Check the evap system I think thats what its called your gas tank vacuum lines for clogs or open system a vacuum leak do you get a hiss of air as you open your gas cap it should do that.

I would think that if the tank is full of grit dirt the pumps as you replace them you would see that in the filters.

The Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator is not in the tank that I know of its on the fuel rail and looks like this http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=943439

You may of gotten some grit sucked into the system in the beginning and has messed up some of your fuel injectors or the Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator but I dont know how you would check that other than replacing the Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator or and having the injectors removed and checked out to see if any are not spraying correctly

Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

The fuel pressure regulator is attached to the fuel pump. I have seen it shown seperately online but I don't believe it can be replaced seperately... It is strange however that the OP's appeared to have corrected the issue though for a couple of weeks. What a bugger to figure out!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default correction on info

I just checked and the Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator is mounted on the pump sorry.

I spliced together the section on the fuel system from the manual into a small PDF you can download or open here http://www.rp95.com/fuel.pdf it has loads of ways to test the fuel system for problems.

there is a lot to check out in the fuel system good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:25 PM
kerrazy

98DAKAZ ,
thanks for the info. I will dig into it this week and see what I can sort out. thanks for taking time and getting the PDF together. It is appreciated.
Kerrazy

Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

Updates?

Quick Reply: 3 fuel pumps later......