2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Speakers pop randomly, no matter what volume.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 PM
TheGrimRaper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers pop randomly, no matter what volume.

Hey guys.

SO as most of you know, I bought that Dakota (still need to post pics!!). It has a custom alpine deck, which is pretty sweet.

I decided to test the system, and it's alright, except the fact every speaker will pop randomly. I have tried changing the bass and treble settings but still the same thing. It's bothering me, because it's like every 5-10 seconds and it gets to me after a while.

I'm not too sure if it has custom speakers. In the back I see past the cover and it looks like it has a blue "J"? Not too sure, not a speaker guy. It has no subs.

Is there any way I can fix this cheapily? I'm headed to the wreckers next weekend in need for a new rear window latch and console cover. I can get stuff there no problem. Even if it's not cheap what can I do? I don't mind installing speakers, would rather not though. Although, I do want a sub sometime in the future depending on room.

Thanks guys. Truck is a '98.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the speakers are either worn out and the foam surround has separated from the cone, the basket or both. Or maybe the speakers could be damaged in some other way. You will have to remove each speaker and take a look at it, see what kind of shape it is in. It could also just be cheap speakers that can not handle the volume or bass from the Alpine deck. It might be that the seller just threw some old or cheap speakers in the truck just to sell it. You need to remove the speakers to find out. If the speakers are bad or in rough shape, there is not much you can do except replace them with a better quality speaker and install the new ones correctly. If the speakers are OK then the problem is either the radio or the factory Infinity amplifier if you have one. Connect a known good working test speaker at the speaker wires to find out.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 10-31-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 AM
TheGrimRaper

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Sounds like the speakers are either worn out and the foam surround has separated from the cone, the basket or both. Or maybe the speakers could be damaged in some other way. You will have to remove each speaker and take a look at it, see what kind of shape it is in. It could also just be cheap speakers that can not handle the volume or bass from the Alpine deck. It might be that the seller just threw some old or cheap speakers in the truck just to sell it. You need to remove the speakers to find out. If the speakers are bad or in rough shape, there is not much you can do except replace them with a better quality speaker and install the new ones correctly. If the speakers are OK then the problem is either the radio or the factory Infinity amplifier if you have one. Connect a known good working test speaker at the speaker wires to find out.

Jimmy
Do I have to take off the door panels to get to the speakers? The covers over the speakers do not pop off. I can also buy some good quality used speakers from the wreckers if I have to, since they are cheap. I have some speakers I can use to test the ones in the truck right now, though. Just need to know how to access them.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

Yes just take the door panels off take the 4 screws out an the speaker will pop out you can get good quality new speakers for like 40 bucks easy

Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Rodester5
Amateur

Just a thought, dose it happen when the truck as stopped? If it only happens when driving, it could be connectors at the back of the head unit, or as happened to me on my face off unit, worn connectors on the face.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
TheGrimRaper

Originally Posted by Blaze10
Yes just take the door panels off take the 4 screws out an the speaker will pop out you can get good quality new speakers for like 40 bucks easy
Hope the door panels aren't that hard. Shouldn't be, since everything is manual haha.

Originally Posted by Rodester5
Just a thought, dose it happen when the truck as stopped? If it only happens when driving, it could be connectors at the back of the head unit, or as happened to me on my face off unit, worn connectors on the face.
Both.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Yarnie

I had the same problem when I bought the truck..Wish I had kept them and gotten pics, the speakers on mine sucked..it had the infinity audio system, and it worked great until my brother got ahold of it one year for prom when my dad still owned it..He blew all four speakers, I have the two in the doors changed to kenwood's....havent bothered with the back yet as I have mechanical issues that take precedence over the stereo..but yeah, fastest way to check is take one of the door panels off and check the speaker out...pretty quick job.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

Door panels aren't hard only a few screws around the door an the rest are those clips so all you do is pull it off

Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
TheGrimRaper

So, the doors were obviously ****ed with earlier. There were no screws haha so it took me no more than 3 minutes to pop it off.

I was testing the speakers, but there were no pops. So I'm thinking, what the **** is going on, right?

Turns out, it only pops when my iPod is connected to the truck. I have no idea how or why, but I'm hoping to fix it. Since I love the adapter. I hope I'll figure out why it does it.

If you guys have any ideas, that'd be great. Sterio is Alpine.

I just have to say, I feel like a complete idiot.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 AM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

Are you connecting with an IPod to USB or a 3.5mm jack to the head unit?

Quick Reply: Speakers pop randomly, no matter what volume.