2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ball Joint recall help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 PM
dakota03NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint recall help needed please

I have a 2003 quad cab sport 4WD with the 4.7L engine and 89,000 miles. I use the truck as my everyday driver, not for work, so it's not beat on much at all. I was just told by my dealer that I need to replace the ball joints, at a cost of over 1K, immediately or potentially have a collapse!

I know that there was a recall for 2000-2003 Dakotas and Durangos with 4WD, after wheels had fallen off some vehicles. The problem is that my VIN # isn't listed for the recall because of the production date?, and as a result don't qualify.

Has anyone had this problem and had success with Chrysler customer service department? So far, I've gotten nowhere.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck on this one since your VIN# does not qualify for the the recall repair/replacement. One thing you could do, is a double check. Go to the Chrysler website https://www.chrysler.com//hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/. You should be able to scroll down the left hand column and input your VIN#. This will tell you if your vehicle qualifies or not. Maybe you did this already? If it does not, I honestly don't think Chrysler would be willing to give on this issue.

They barley wanted to fix this dangerous issue with the other years.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
DakotaCC

Just had the recall done on my '01, and replaced the lowers on my $$ at the same time. I had the dealer do it only because it was cheaper to do the uppers on Dodge's dime and lowers on mine, as opposed to footing the bill for all 4.

If I were you, I'd shop the job to a local independent and ask for Moog or other known high-quality joints. If you go Moog you can get a joint that can be greased. My normal independent mech quoted around $950 to do all the ball joints along with a 4-wheel alignment and rotate/balance. His comment was that he sees a lot of worn joints in 4wd Dakota/Durango, even on the newer ones that aren't subject to the recall.

Good luck, and hope your truck drives as nicely as mine does since I had the job done.

Best,

DakotaCC

Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
dakota03NY

Thanks for the quick feedback. Unfortunately, I did run my VIN through Chrysler's website and also had a friend who is a dealer service advisor do some research. She came up with the same response that my VIN wasn't included in the recall. They apparently only recalled units built until late December 2002? and mine was built in the spring of 2003?, if that makes any sense.

I also researched the NHTSA website and there were MANY complaints similar to mine, regarding vehicles with the same problem and even less mileage. But there VIN# wasnt included. So, the government agency knows about this, and the serious potential for a dangerous event, as well as Chrysler. But neither organization wants to cover all the effected vehicles. One accused the other of being in charge of which vehicle VIN #s should be included. And to think that Chrysler was bailed out with our tax payer $, with US citizens losing over a billion dollars in recuperating our full investment. But I shouldnt digress into a political discussion...

So, I will follow up with a letter to Senior management at Chrysler, specifically Paul Alcala, Director of Customer Satisfaction in Auburn Hills, and the Head of Quality, whose name escapes me now, but is listed on Chrysler's website. Don't know if it will help, but it's something to try at least. Also, waiting for a call back from a supervisor at NHTSA.

My independent local mechanic quoted $1,300 for upper and lower ball joints with the alignment, etc. So it's a big chunk of $, as well as a dangerous driving situation in the meantime. Good suggestion about the Moog components so they can be greased properly in the future. Thanks for your help.

Will follow up with my progress.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

4x4 Dakota's have upper ball joints that are riveted in place. The lowers are pressed in place. It is not too hard to drill out the rivets and replace the uppers yourself. Lowers can be done at home, you can either rent or do the loan a tool service to borrow a ball joint press kit from a parts store to press out the lowers and press in the new ball joints. Or you can remove the control arms and take them to a machine shop and have the old ball joints pressed out and new ones pressed in, it should not cost that much.

Moog is a good quality ball joint; some say Moog makes the best suspension parts you can buy. I put TRW lower ball joints and Autozone Duralast upper ball joints on my truck almost two years ago. They are all still in great shape, my truck drives and steers like new. I read that TRW makes the Duralast brand of ball joints for Autozone anyway. My upper and lowers are all greaseable too, I grease them every time I change my oil.

I hope the suits at Chrysler will help you with your truck. If not, you can do it yourself. There is a lot of info here on the forum if you need it and some good guys with 4x4 Dakota's who can offer advice if needed.

Jimmy

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1,300 for a ball joint job is ridiculous!! A good shop should charge no more than 500 max! If you have the right tools that job will take 2 hrs max. Do it yourself its not all that hard. Hell even if you have to buy all the tools to do they job you are still ahead of the 1,300.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
1,300 for a ball joint job is ridiculous!! A good shop should charge no more than 500 max! If you have the right tools that job will take 2 hrs max. Do it yourself its not all that hard. Hell even if you have to buy all the tools to do they job you are still ahead of the 1,300.
Ha! It takes a lot longer than 2 hours to replace all four ball joints. $500 for the labor is about right plus $65 a piece for the joints themselves.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Ha! It takes a lot longer than 2 hours to replace all four ball joints. $500 for the labor is about right plus $65 a piece for the joints themselves.
My boss told me about 700 for all 4 ball joints said about 3hrs to do.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
My boss told me about 700 for all 4 ball joints said about 3hrs to do.
A professional that has done it a lot can probably do it in 3 or 4 hours but if you've never done it, it takes a long time on a 4wd vehicle. It's not really difficult, just time consuming.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would like to see somebody, anybody change these balljoints in 2 hrs. even 3hrs im calling BS

Quick Reply: Ball Joint recall help needed please