2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trying to wire in brake light on camper top

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trying to wire in brake light on camper top

I will start by saying electrical work isn't my forte. So I am looking to wire in the brake light on my camper top to work. It is an LED bar in the center of the cap.

I was hoping to make a clean install through the left or right tail light and be done, but due to the blinker and the way it works, it isn't as easy. I don't want to run wires all the way from the back of the cab to the brake light there if I can avoid it. So I figure this is a good time to practice my electrical skills.

Basically, there are three wires. One for ground, one for runnning lights, and one for brake lights, which in turn flashes on and off when you have the brake and the blinker going. If I tie into this brake wire, when I turn on my blinker it causes the brake light on the camper top to flash. Is there a way to wire this in with a relay or something to avoid this?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You could do it with a couple of diodes. You'd need to tap the brake wire from both sides, with a diode in each.

On both brake wires put a diode, tie the output (striped side) of both diodes together and connect this to your LED bar.

Just make sure you get a diode that can handle the current of your LED bar. You may want to measure it with an ammeter if it doesn't say.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just found a single wire labeled as the center high under my spare. It was white. Apparently it is made for the center lights on camper tops. Hooked it up and it works just like I wanted.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Excellent!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you did it the way I would, Tap into the pigtail for the trailer lights. Piece of cake.

Quick Reply: Trying to wire in brake light on camper top