2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

drive shaft broke off today

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default drive shaft broke off today

Today I was driving down the highway and I heard some noise. All of a sudden I see something going down the highway. Seems that it was my drive shaft. So When I had my truck inspected they pointed out that the exhaust was banging against the drive shaft but said it would be fine Seems it wasn't fine and my drive shaft broke off. FML!!! Had to get the truck towed. So today really sucked. Now I have to find how difficult it is to replace the drive shaft. It also pulled out of the transmission which is what concerned me because transmission fluid was going everywhere. Should I be concerned about that? did the drive shaft do damage by pulling out? how hard is it to replace? Thanks

Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The yoke on the end of the driveshaft has a seal on it to keep fluid in the transmission. When it came out, you lost the seal, so the fluid leaked. If you didn't run it for long after, you should be able to just replace the missing fluid.

You probably had a u-joint fail, it happens. Check the driveshaft and yokes for damage and replace the u-joints. I'd probably run it by a driveline shop to make sure it isn't damaged, or out of balance.

The yoke just slips into the transmission and is designed to slide in and out as the suspension moves, then there are a couple of bolts on the u-joint and you're done.

Your driveshaft should never "bang" against the exhaust. If it does, something is out of alignment. It doesn't sound like the "inspection" was very good.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take it back to the shop or give them a bill for a new shaft. Esp if your yoke is damaged (where it slips into the trans). that has to be nice so the seal won't leak.

Otherwise, If there is any damage (out of round, balance etc,) it might be easier tofind a junk yard one, i know, probably impossible, but that or get a new one so you dont have to worry about any small issues down the road becoming larger again.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

the drive shaft isn't repairable. About a foot and a half section broke off. The exhaust was hitting the drive shaft because the PO straight piped the exhaust and it wasn't in all the hangers. The exhaust was banging around. I'm planning on going to the junkyard today and pulling one. It looks like all i need to do is take the four bolts out, knock it off the differential, and then pull it out of the trans.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mgaither0
I'm planning on going to the junkyard today and pulling one. It looks like all i need to do is take the four bolts out, knock it off the differential, and then pull it out of the trans.
That's all you have to do.

Just make sure you find the right length driveshaft.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

so i got one from the junk yard today. Now all I have to do is hope it works, that the little dent in the bottom wont be a problem and replace the u joint on it. ANy advice on replacing the u joint?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by New 2 Dodge
Link didnt work.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

do any drive shafts off other vehicles fit the 2wd rear dakota drive shaft? I was wondering if a Durango or something would fit? Figured with 4wd the durango would be to short. The drive shaft I pulled the other day is messed up so I needed another one and I couldn't find any Dakotas that still had the drive shaft on them.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Try http://www.car-part.com

It'll give you substitution information and tell you where you can find one near you.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: drive shaft broke off today