2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front turn signal issue (just one filament out of the four)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:52 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front turn signal issue (just one filament out of the four)

I've been making a lot of progress fixing the major problems plaguing my Dakota but there’s one issue that I mistakenly put on the back-burner…and it’s something that will guarantee failure on my upcoming Pennsylvania inspection in March.

Here’s the problem:
Driving my Dakota home from the lot, I discovered that the passenger-side turn signal indicator (in the cluster) blinked as if I had a bad bulb/filament. I inspected all of the exterior lighting when I got home and it appeared that the front passenger-side turn signal (the inner-most of the two/closest to the radiator) bulb filament was the bad but…turned out not to be the case.

Also; I do not have any LEDs installed.

Two packs of light bulbs later, it’s not a blown filament issue.

My lone theory was possible bad wiring for the tow-hitch and here’s why:
The tow socket had one of those cheap illuminated plastic plugs-covers connected/plugged into the wiring harness. The light in the plug/hitch cover would blink when I initiated the Pass-side turn signal and when I used the hazard lights – otherwise it would stay on (constant) when I had my running lights/headlights turned on.

I looked through my Haynes Repair Manual and followed/traced the wiring, per schematic; it all seems to check out correctly from what I can tell.

Barring any further suggestions to purchase even more replacement light bulbs, ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED as I am at a loss.

This is a murky issue to cry help for and I’ve stated all that I am aware of but, by all means, fire away with ANY ideas. I have until March to get this sorted but it’s gonna be March in a blink of an eye if I don’t jump on this now.

Thanks in advance for any help what-so-ever.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Check for a bad ground, at the passenger side front turn signal.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default sockets bad!

Inspect all the sockets look closely at the sockets do you see any corrosion inside the sockets.

Don’t go with LED tail lights I have seen many people getting problems using them they can cause havoc to a system not designed for them the old bulbs work just fine.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

Hey fellas,
I looked over the sockets and they look to be ok; nothing corroded or gooped up. I was hoping it would be something simple like a bent contact but no.

Seems to be a bit more involved and I don’t want to sink a lot of time into something that may be beyond me - probably going to have to take this issue to the shop.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Check for a bad ground, at the passenger side front turn signal.

From what I could track-down, the wiring checked out.
It's a weird one.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This kind of problem happened to me back when I installed my fog lights. I had tapped into one of the parking light wires on the front of my truck and it made the turn signal blink fast like that. I changed my connection over to the other parking light harness at that light and everything was fine after that. Maybe you have the same type of wiring issue some where in your truck.

I would go back to the trailer hitch wiring and remove it. Remove every last bit of it and the trailer hitch plug cover light gimmick too. Then trace all of the aftermarket trailer wiring down to where the person who installed the wiring made their connections. I would cut all of their connections out and solder and tape/heat shrink all of the truck's wiring harness for the lights all back together. They also make butt connectors that you can crimp the wires together and then seal them shut from water and the elements with a heat gun. Just be sure to use the right size of connector for the wire you are working with.

Then remove both rear tail ight assemblies and be sure the installer did not make any oddball connections at the wiring there. If he did, remove it and put it all back to together correctly. Then I would go on up to the right front fenderwell, remove the air cleaner box, trace back the ground wires from the turn signal, if your '98 is like my '01 there is a ground lug under the air intake box. Remove the nut and clean all of the connectors and the grounding lug down to clean shiny bare metal with a wire brush. If the ring terminals are corroded cut them off and crimp on some new ones.

If this all fails or you find no problems with the grounds or the wiring front and rear, the next logical thing is to check the flasher relay, maybe just go ahead and replace it. I do not know any ways to test a flasher. It should only cost a few bucks at the parts store anyway.

If the flasher is not the problem, remove the turn signal lever and switch from the truck and use a voltmeter to check its operation. Your Haynes Book has diagrams and instructions on how to check the switch. I doubt the switch is bad though, if it were, the turn signals would probably not work at all. Personally I think somewhere in the truck you have a bad connection or a bad wiring installation for the trailer lights. If you find that is the problem and can get this thing fixed, you can buy trailer harness wiring that has plugs on it that connect right into the plastic connector plugs on the factory rear lights harness connectors. They take all the guess work and cutting/splicing out of the process. I think even Walmart used to sell that type of trailer wiring connectors, or maybe check with a truck accessories store or a U-Haul store.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Front turn signal issue (just one filament out of the four)