2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I'm screwed X 2.....brake issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
corpusfisherman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
I have some bad news for you. You're probably going to have to everything in your brake system that has rubber seals and cups...master cylinder, front and rear rubber brake hoses, calipers, rear wheel cylinders and in all good probability the ABS control unit. Power steering fluid will cause any rubber components in the brake system to swell and become very soft. Take the cap off the brake reservoir and check the rubber seal. If it's swelled and distorted it's already to late.

DO NOT drive the truck because your brakes could fail instantly. It's not safe.
yup, you're right on, unfortunately bwdakrt.....the cap is indeed swelled and distorted, and I agree, its already too late...

and you're right, the brakes are failing at a high rate of speed, had to use the e-brake twice on the way to work....

I replaced the calipers already and bled the lines, but it did Nothing to improve the brakes...they still go to the floor....I'm guessing it took the master cylinder and brake booster(?)..

danged expensive mistake....I'll let you know what the total cost turns out to be.....I can't believe I did that....

thanks again for the responses...
screwed in Texas

Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by corpusfisherman
I replaced the calipers already and bled the lines, but it did Nothing to improve the brakes...they still go to the floor....I'm guessing it took the master cylinder and brake booster(?)..

danged expensive mistake....I'll let you know what the total cost turns out to be.....I can't believe I did that....

thanks again for the responses...
screwed in Texas
The booster itself shouldn't be affected.

ALL rubber parts will need to be changed including the master cylinder, the flex hoses at both front wheels and the rear diff, and those in your ABS system. Everything. It's not just a matter of one or two and getting by. As you've found, the system is failing.

It also needs more than a bleeding. You need to flush the system completely.

Sorry bud.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
corpusfisherman
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
The booster itself shouldn't be affected.

ALL rubber parts will need to be changed including the master cylinder, the flex hoses at both front wheels and the rear diff, and those in your ABS system. Everything. It's not just a matter of one or two and getting by. As you've found, the system is failing.

It also needs more than a bleeding. You need to flush the system completely.

Sorry bud.
dang expensive mistake for .35 cents of the wrong fluid in the wrong hole....

getting it towed to the shop now.....geez!!!!!!!!
CF

Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one time I don't like saying I told you so. A very expensive lesson to learn. Sorry.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 PM
chris1996
Veteran
Unhappy

Ohh I'm sorry that's a too expensive mistake I only can said I'm sorry

Quick Reply: I'm screwed X 2.....brake issue(s)