2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dipstick Reading

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
firemanmatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dipstick Reading

I changed my oil and filter for the first time since high school just a couple days ago.

I put 6 quarts of oil in my 2000 Dakota 4.7L V8 (which is what it recommends per the owner's manual.)

Now, when I check the oil level, it consistantly reads that it is above the area that says [SAFE] on it. The best way to describe how far above that is that it is the same height above the [SAFE] area as the width of the [SAFE] area on the dipstick. My oil pressure readings are within the accepted range it seems.

I know overfilling my engine with oil is a bad thing to do. Is the level my oil is at on the dipstick considered too much? Like I said, it would be about 1/4in above the area that says SAFE.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 AM
firemanmatt
Default RE: Dipstick Reading

TTT, I really need some help here. Im worried I am doing damage to my truck by having the oil read slightly above the SAFE area on the dipstick. I added 6 quarts (which it says I should) but my dipstick is confusing.

Anhone?

Old 09-11-2005, 07:03 PM
FSEVENTY

Not sure about the MAgnum V8's, but for the most part you do not want to overfill the oil because if the oil level is too high, it can be "wipped up" with air by the crankshaft (it gets worse as RPM increases). If this condition gets too severe, the wipped up oil will get pulled into the oil pump and distributed through the engine. If you pump foamed up oil across the bearings at high rpm's you can starve the bearing of oil and overheat it, spin it out, etc... basciall causing $$$ damage tot he engine.

1/4 of an inch on the dipstick may not be a big deal, but if your worried, drain a slight amount of oil back out until it's level. It's worth the effort to make sure your not wipping up the oil.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:38 AM
boohoops
Professional

sounds like u overfilled it becuz j hear th 5.2L use around 5 qrts with a filter on

Old 05-06-2007, 02:59 AM
gutted
Veteran

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but are you checking the dipstick shortly after or while the engine is running?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

i agree with fseventy on what he's saying. Make sure that your on level ground, and the truck is off. If there is mre than abour 1/8 of an inch over the full line (or above the safe zone) I personally would drain some out. Just my .02

Old 05-07-2007, 01:40 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

As a side note, is anyone else worried about the large amount of hits and small amount of replies to this thread?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:50 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4x4kota

As a side note, is anyone else worried about the large amount of hits and small amount of replies to this thread?

it because its a 2 YEAR OLD POST BATMAN!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 AM
Billiam
Champion

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

ORIGINAL: 4x4kota

it because its a 2 YEAR OLD POST BATMAN!

Thats great

Quick Reply: Dipstick Reading