2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New Plugs=Joy to man and no peace in my town

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:18 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Plugs=Joy to man and no peace in my town

Today; I threw the Autolite 3923's in my truck and it has a nice bit of more pick up than it had.. seems more aggressive and does not feel like its Dragging a boat behind it as much. These made a big difference; and just as food for thought my old plugs were less than a year old champions..

Now just to get the Catco swapped with a real high flow cat I'll be happy again as far as get up and go.. so far so good..

However it does look like there might be a problem with Cyl. # 5 it was the only odd ball spark plug that did not have hardly any burn on the core; I suspect this Cyl is not firing as well; possibly running to lean.. I'm going to get my brother to do a comp test on it and maybee replace the injector.

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 12-24-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Ok.. so; so far it seems the truck likes the plugs ok.. at first the engine was smooth as glass but after it got warmed up and since then; its back to its normal self; but it seems at very light throttle it seems ok and more responsive; but it just kinda feels when you get on it.. and try and get up and go;;; it feels smooth.. and shifting smoth and engine smooth but just does not have that throw your *** in the seat power feeling..

Fuel Economy seems to have a risen a little bit in certain ranges...

Dunno... I think something has been done to this truck before I got it and I'm not sure what it is.. and me throwing parts at this thing is probally not helping.. I need to get this Catco off this truck I know thats for sure.. I'm sure its half my problems right there.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to change-out my plugs in the next few weeks (I've been saying that for almost a month now ). I made my mind up on the Autolite 3923's but there's a few different types of 3923's - Copper-core, Iridium, Platinum, Double Platinum and the XS-series of 3923's. I figured on just getting the copper cores but I hear A LOT about people using the Iridium ones. I'm kinda stuck between the two.
What did you go with?

As far as the the catalytic converter goes; my Dakota already had a high-flow in it. My uncle (mechanic) thinks it's a magnaflow but we're not sure what the model.

My Dakota's MPG was nothing short of a total disgrace when I bought it back in October but I've since put a new high-flow exhaust and I cleaned/re-oiled my CAI - that made a very noticeable difference in the idle, pick-up and a bit with the MPG.

Getting a new high-flow Cat is certainly worth a shot but be careful; I know that certain models can trip your CEL or worse, fail an emissions test.

I've been through some expensive trial and error so far (mostly shipping expenses) so, I hope this helps-out.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard Champions don't hold up well at all. Autolites are supposed to hold up much better. It's amazing how much of a difference such a simple part can make. I noticed a big difference when I changed mine but I'm not sure how long the previous ones were in there for.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think champions are bad.. i mean that is what the truck started out with.. but i have autolites as well and i think they work good and hold up to their own.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I like the quality of the Autolites to be honest with you; there were at one time I did not care for them.. I really do not know why either.. Autolite makes MotorCraft plugs which are damn good plugs; just a name change on the plug it self; so it sort of speaks for it self there IMO.

I need to drive this truck more I think and really get a feel for whats going on.. got a little extra cash thinking about getting a mag back on here.. now that I know which one is the correct one for my truck.. ROFL.

Word to the wise check your OEM part number if you have the A type dont get anything other than the Universal; the direct fit is not correct.

That was part* of my problem with the Mag I had on it.. Live and learn huh.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bosch platinum good for me 2.5L

My truck is way different than most of you out there being the 2.5L but I had the simple Bosch platinum’s in my 4 and it ran great but they were short lived plugs 3 years then they craped out.

I got lucky I have a Magnaflow cat and muffler didn’t even think about the cat just wanted a good muffler and new cat at same time 4 years ago just stipulated I wanted a quiet performance muffler not the loud ones and got a great setup it was just a tad noisier than stock only flaw is the pipes they didn’t do the best job with smooth bends they were kinked more than they should have been.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-31-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Indeed that L4 is completely different ball game than the V6 and V8's..

Anyways; I got the Copper version as many recommended; I had the same question as I seen 2 kinds; with the same part number APP and just the copper versions.

I went with the copper versions and So far and overall I am pleased; the truck does not have that throw you back in your seat quite so hard feeling it did have; but the acceleration is doable. Idle seems to be a little more rough.. but give it a little gas and its smooth as butter.. My Tensioner pully twitches at idle and would also do it with any open throttle.. now with open throttle it is smoth and does not twitch.. but seems to twitch more at idle.

Really pisses me off first startup with these plugs it was smooth as glass all teh way around.. but after a little running its twitching and being stupid at idle.. truck is running great overall though and acceleration feels a little better

I can't Wait to see what it does with a better flowing Cat.. :X

Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

SO a few days driving.. I really do like the feel of the truck.. the acceleration is tolerable.. (could be better) but I just do not like the increased low idle lope.. I'm running Plus through it...

I think I might waste some more money and get the Autolites "Listed" for our trucks and just see what the difference is... since I already know what the Champions are like.. Now that I've been driving the truck and the truck has broke in the plugs a bit it seems the same as before.. not much a difference other than idle.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought i read somewhere that the 4.7s used NGKs. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: New Plugs=Joy to man and no peace in my town