2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Low Beams not working also wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:56 PM
billetdakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Beams not working also wipers

Hey there, Just bought a 1997 dakato SLT and attempting to work on it a bit. Well the current problem I am having is the LOW BEAMS do not work and the wipers do not work EXCEPT when I press-in the **** for the wiper fluid, which then the wipers stay on until I hold the high beams for a second. Anyways, I have replaced the headlight switch with a new one and nothing changed. I need advice on what you guys think it could be. Not sure if its relevant but my cruise control switches dont work as well.

Could it be the CMT? I read the CMT usually wont allow most of my operations to work but parking lights work normal and other lights as well. Even turn signals and radio. Help please and glad I joined

Old 12-25-2011, 07:29 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome..The wiper and headlight problem could be due to a bad multi-function switch. That is the switch on the wiper/turn suignal arm that controls the high beams, wipers and turn signals. The Haynes Book for your truck will have directions on how to remove the switch from the steering column and test its operation with a voltmeter.

The cruise buttons not working could be due to a bad clock spring. It is in the steering wheel behind the air bag. It also controls the horn. I think the Haynes Book also tells how to use your voltmeter to check the cruise control switch operations too. Some, but not all of the components you are having problems with are controlled by or run through the Central Timer Module. The only way to really test the CTM for sure is at the dealership with their DRB-III scan tool. If it were me I would check the individual parts first before doing anything with the CTM.

Jimmy

Old 12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
billetdakota

I need to pick up a manual for this thing asap lol.... nobody have a pdf copy they mind emailing me? just asking

Old 12-25-2011, 07:40 PM
billetdakota

also are you sure that the low beams have anything to do with the MFS? I assumed that they didnt cross paths. Just making sure because I thought the MFS could be bad as well but wasnt sure since the lowbeams arent working at all but high beams are

Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would still check the multi function switch. There are manual downloads up in the FAQ and sicky topics at the top of the 2nd Gen page here. You will have to root around in there and find the downloads that work, some do, some don't. The Haynes Book has good info on the different switches too. I believe the CTM does get a signal from the high and low beam switch sense from the multi function switch. If it were me I would check the switch first, also because of the wiper problem.

Jimmy

Old 12-25-2011, 09:19 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The CTM doesn't control the headlights, pre 2001. The wipers, the intermittent and wash sweep function are controlled from the CTM, but normal operation isn't.

Do the high beams work, normally? Not the pass to flash function.

The MFS is a good place to start.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
PonchoRob
Professional

Not trying to overstate the obvious , but , have you checked all the fuses ? There are fuses located behind a pull off panel at the drivers side of the dash where it meets the door and under the hood next to the battery there's fuses under the cover of the Power Distribution Center .

Old 12-25-2011, 11:12 PM
billetdakota

Checked all fuses but to answer the high beam question, I just got the truck but the only time the high beams work is if I hold the MFS. When I let go, the Highbeams go off.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:15 PM
PonchoRob
Professional

One thing on the cruise control , again , check your fuses and connections , if all checks out good then it could be the controls on the steering wheel giving you troubles . I have trouble with mine not working when i dont use it on a somewhat regular basis , i have to press down and hold the on switch for a few good long seconds and quickly let it go - sometimes 2 or 3 trys in different positions on the switch - before it comes on and lights up the green cruise light on the dash . maybe that`s all that's wrong with your`s too ??

Old 12-25-2011, 11:18 PM
PonchoRob
Professional

Originally Posted by billetdakota
Checked all fuses but to answer the high beam question, I just got the truck but the only time the high beams work is if I hold the MFS. When I let go, the Highbeams go off.
Oh , ok , it`s looking like the mfs is the trouble maker on your truck

Quick Reply: Low Beams not working also wipers