2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cruise control issue 2000 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 PM
delta_tea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control issue 2000 dakota

I've been working on a 2000 Dakota 4.7L V8 project truck for a couple of months now and I'm stumped as to how to approach the cruise control.

For starters I can't find the CC light anywhere on the indicator panel in the dash. The service manual lists it, but I can't find the symbol in the truck. I haven't even found a good drawing that would show where to look for that symbol.

Next issue I have is that when driving over 35mph I can't get the the cruise control to work. I've tried the on/off and the set button and all combinations possible without luck. I thought it may be a clock spring issue but my horn works... All of the fuses are good and the I have zero p-codes. Where else should I look for a possible cause? Is there any kind of testing I could do to narrow down the possibilities?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the light is under the mileage on the left side on mine. could be just a bad servo. check the switch on the brake pedal for operation. if it is shorted, the cruise won't set.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The CC indicator is under the odometer. If you do a cluster test you'll see it. If you've installed the CC yourself you'll need your dealer to reprogram the cluster for it to work. It won't just come on by itself.

The cruise should still work however. Get up about 40 or so, hit the on/off, then set.

It's about $20 and 5 minutes with a DRB to program the cluster. It took me longer to explain what I needed my dealer to do than for them to actually do it. I had one dealer tell me that I didn't have the light, ummm - then why would it test???

It's not uncommon for the switches to go bad. Someone spilling a sugary drink on the switch will destroy it quickly. A DRB can test the entire system.

Quick Reply: Cruise control issue 2000 dakota