2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Are you a happy Dakota owner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah well unfortunately I couldn't get to my fiance's parents house 6 months out of the year without 4wd so it was not a difficult decision, had to have it. A lot of the issues I've had would have happened whether it was a base model or fully loaded model. I did have to replace a half shaft and front drive shaft but like I said, I had to have 4wd so it is what it is.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM
hhaywoodjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck is a 2002 4.7. I've really only had one big problem with my truck and that is the front brakes have locked up on me twice and now they randomly drag getting the drivers side wheel very hot. I've really enjoyed owning this truck and wish someone could tell me whats wrong with the front brakes. Everythings been replaced twice! Help!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

I wish I didn't deal with road salt :/ western pa loves to kill your cars. My dad and I undercoat our vehicles every two years!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by NickCornell
I wish I didn't deal with road salt :/ western pa loves to kill your cars. My dad and I undercoat our vehicles every two years!
Man you should see the salt out here. We've hardly had any snow at all (less than a half inch of actual accumulation), and they're spreading salt like there's a foot of ice. It's already taking it's toll, I can see where new rust is starting where I missed the bedliner along the bottom. Other then that and the crappy gas mileage (for a V6), my Kota's great and I love it.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by NickCornell
I know what you mean. They put down so much more salt than is necessary. Instead of having snow on the road we end up with nasty slush because of the snow. Snow has more traction than slush but that's not what we do.

Of course if they didn't put down that much salt most people would be happy but some old hag would call and b!tch about it...

Old 01-02-2012, 02:50 PM
01blackdak
Professional

The amount of salt they have put down here is really not necessary. It hasn't snowed here once except for last night and today. Last week it was about 40 and they put down salt on all the roads because it as supposedly going to snow that night even though it was rain.

But last night they put down a bunch of salt which really gets me mad cause they basically cover the road in the stuff. Which it snowed about an inch total which putting the salt down does nothing cause the roads are still to warm for the snow to stick to them anyway.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:05 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Well so far I'm not liking MY Dakota, but I love THE Dakota.

Just dumped $1000 into new tires all around which I needed, but found out that my driver side bearing is going which means I need to replace that for about $160 if I do it myself or $340 for the shop.

Had to replace my lower ball joint also driver side for safety which was $250.

The engine will sometimes backfire when warm - plugs, wires, cap, rotor all replaced.

The truck is either leaking coolant (which I can't find) or burning it up which I'm dreading, cause thats going to be big $$$ to fix.

Yesterday the driver side window fell off the track, but I took it apart and got that fixed after about an hour or two of frustration.

And just today my driver side door speaker blew.

My truck only has 43,000 KMS!!!! I thought I was getting a good deal because it was family owned.

Oh well.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by 01blackdak
The amount of salt they have put down here is really not necessary. It hasn't snowed here once except for last night and today. Last week it was about 40 and they put down salt on all the roads because it as supposedly going to snow that night even though it was rain.

But last night they put down a bunch of salt which really gets me mad cause they basically cover the road in the stuff. Which it snowed about an inch total which putting the salt down does nothing cause the roads are still to warm for the snow to stick to them anyway.
Sounds just like what they do out here.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im overall a happy owner. I have done some work to my truck but for the abuse it has held up well. Only thing im not happy about is needing a tranny at 95k.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

damnn that is clean dude, my motor is covered in mud lol because i go mudding alot. i try to keep it clean though

Quick Reply: Are you a happy Dakota owner?