2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Are you a happy Dakota owner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:11 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking Are you a happy Dakota owner?

Life of my 1998 Base Dakota 2.5L 5 speed manual

First off I take great care of my autos so this may be why it had so few problems or breakdowns.

Second my Dakota was not in use all that much the last 6 years so I guess the normal wear and tear is less than normal it was driven but at times sat for up to a week with no usage.

My opinion of my Dakota is this very dependable truck almost no problems with it accept these few things three radiators just a bad design with plastic tops the plastic tops just cracked open on me all the time. Front brakes binding on me a few times over the years and the rear drum brakes on my truck are garbage the brakes on this truck are Ok at best. HVAC system is not very good in the Dakota numerous HVAC problems this has been the biggest flaw in my opinion if you are not comfortable in the cab of your truck in winter or the Hot summer then you will not be a happy Dakota owner.

Final notes love the big cab doors on my truck Base model I have the bench seats that are very comfortable but all manual not the electric but I say big deal to that I never adjust them anyway they have been in the same position for 13 years. One thing I do wish I had is the electric windows side view mirrors and locks being a simple base model. I love the rack and pinion steering on these trucks had many people freak at how I could make a U-turn with ease. One more thing I like is this truck is very drivable more like a regular car than a truck just an all-around comfortable truck to drive for a mid-size truck. Final note is my paint I’m not sure if I’m just the luckiest Dakota owner in history but still the original paint in fantastic shape hardly ever wax it but it maintains its luster even now.

The Dakota is an all-around great dependable truck that has a few glaring flaws but with great care can last many happy years at 13 years old my truck is still a great truck.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 PM
BLSHOG10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats probably the cleanest engine bay on a 98 i have ever seen .......

Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Brian_
Captain

Originally Posted by BLSHOG10
thats probably the cleanest engine bay on a 98 i have ever seen .......
id say mine looks horrible especially with all my wiring from my hids, truck is very clean in general! good work

Old 12-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Trent479
Veteran

thats a good lookin truck! you kept great care of that engine bay!! looks great man!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason your truck is in such good shape is because you live in ARIZONA! A few winters up north and everything goes to hell.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default I agree

I agree bpark8824 I have seen how bad the rust factor sets in its crazy how rusty your cars get back east.

I lived inland of San-Diego CA over the mountains the high desert for a number of years as a kid very dry yes very dry we had large steel ball bearings in our garage my Dad was an industrial mechanic just sitting out and they never rusted we moved down to Orange County CA along the Beach and the ball bearings came with us and they started rusting the first week we were there.

Rust sucks

Please dont yell ARIZONA my man no need for that.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-31-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 AM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was a very happy Dakota owner.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
midnight03dakota

One thing I have to say that I have experienced with my truck is its durability. I love my truck but I understand that stuff will go wrong that is just out of my hands. For instance, I was parked on a street and a new driver came down the road and hit my truck going about 25-30 mph. My truck, in park, had a minor ding and the bumper just had a few scratches, nothing that a little sanding and paint couldn't fix, whereas his car was almost destroyed.

Throughout owning my truck, I have loved it. Sure, with the 4.7 auto I could complain about gas mileage (11-12 mpg city where most of my driving is), or the fact that the 03's don't have a suspension lift for it, but in the end I love my truck and I am a very happy dakota owner.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:48 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dakota is a love/hate thing. I've hate a lot of stupid problems but I love the truck. I love having a v8 in a smaller truck. I love the size (not tiny like rangers or massive like the newer full size trucks). I love how they look inside and out.

I just don't like how many problems I've had with both Dakotas I've owned.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Talking very few problems

Purchased my Dakota new well a repo at a great low price 5K milage on it for $11K 1999.

Being a Base model with the small 2.5L has been great a no frills truck will last way longer no complicated electric windows, locks, mirrors, seats so on that will require loads of work on them as they age same with the small 2.5L not to much can go wrong with that engine or even the trans.

All those extra options on the high-end models or a 4X4 can become a money pit as they age.

Keep it simple and care for it, it will last a long time.

Quick Reply: Are you a happy Dakota owner?