2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust system needs help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
moebeeza
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Exhaust system needs help!!

My 98 dakota with 3.9 v6 needs an exhaust. It seems like the Y pipe has let go on the passenger side. My manifold bolts/studs? look pretty cruddy. I am wondering what others in my situation have done and what has the result been? Do I go for a header pipe and a new Y ? Do I go for new manifolds(just in case) and just replace Y?
All input is greatly appreciatedHunting for solutions:icon_quest ion:

Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the manifolds and the y-pipes just have holes, and you could just put in new gasket and bolts. Though, I haven't done that before so we'll see what others have to say.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No need for new manifolds unless they are damaged. The hardware can be replaced.

If the y-pipe has failed then you'd replace the entire piece, not just one side.

Not sure on yours but I think the y-pipe and catalytic converter are one piece. That reads as $$$.

If it's rotting at the manifold the rest of the system is probably about ready to fail, or it's been replaced, so it may be easier to do the whole thing.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your y pipe has "let go" as you said. I'm assuming that your saying it disconnected or rusted either rite after the header or rite after the y pipe where the straight pipe is? Either way you should be able to get a new piece of y pipe and clamp it on or put it on an jb weld it.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the headers (manifold) arent leaking, unless you want to replace them. Like swap in hi flow headers or something I see no reason to touch them.

Quick Reply: Exhaust system needs help!!