2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P/S whine will not go away!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/S whine will not go away!!!!!

Alright so I bought the truck used a couple of months ago, had 95K on it, 2004 Dak QC 4.7L, 4x4, Auto. P/S pump whined pretty bad, figured it needed a new pump, but tried a couple of things first.

I first tried flushing the fluid, did this twice with Castrol ATF+4 and the fluid was clean as could be.....still whined just as bad, made no difference.

Next I tried bleeding it, jacked the front wheels up and turned the steering wheel back and forth slowly from stop to stop about 40 times, with the engine off and the cap of the reservoir opened......still whined, made no difference.

Next I did the same thing as above, but with the engine running......and you guessed it, made absolutely NO difference.

So I figured I gave it a good shot but I need a pump, bought a Cardone re-manned pump, put it in, used all new fluid again, started it up.......holy crap, the exact same whine, doesn't sound ANY different AT ALL. It's like I didn't do anything, it's not worse, not better, not even slightly better, just EXACTLY the same.

Now I know it's the P/S pump, it's not the alternator, not the idler or the tensioner, none of those make any noise and that is listening with a stethascope. When I put the stethascope to the new P/S pump I hear the same exact whine that I heard in the old pump, which I assumed was the bearing.

Is there some type of known thing with these pumps or racks or lines that will cure this whine?? I read a few things online about issues Dodge had with Caravan P/S pumps. It seems the reservoir filter/screen would get plugged up and cause the whine, you either cleaned the filter/screen if possible or replaced the reservoir and it would cure the whine.

I re-used my old reservoir and I did see a little screen in the bottom but didn't look close enough to see if it was clogged at all. Is that a possibility on a Dakota? Could the rack or the high pressure line be the problem? I need to fix this whine it makes me insane. Could the new pump just be bad? I figured even if the new pump was bad it would at least make a different noise, but it sounds identical to the old one.

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Cymaxx

Sorry I can't offer any help, but I'd be interested in this as well. I realized recently that the guy I had replace the return line for me last spring (I didn't have time to do it then) used regular PS fluid when he filled it up, so it has recently been whining more and gotten tougher to steer, especially when cold. I did a full fluid flush with ATF+4 yesterday and it got rid of the (loud) cold whine and tough steering, but the persistent (quieter) whine is still there. I'm wondering if I do need to eventually replace the pump what do I use, I've heard a lot of stories where the new one is no better than the old, just like you described.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 AM
chrisy1961
Rookie

Here is my story concerning my PS Pump; I bought my 2003 used in Feb of 2010 with 173,000 miles on it. (Runs like new though) The fan belt was squealing on and off and I told the dealer that I would only buy it if he fixed the squeal. After several trips to his inhouse Bozo mechanic, he finally sent me to a "professional". It took him 30 minutes but he finally identified the problem as my PS pump pulley was not seated at the correct depth so the belt would squeal. The pump was new (remanned) but this fixed the problem. It did eat a new belt so he replaced it. My PS pump still makes a very slight whining noise and the steering is harder than I would like but she just turned 180,000 and stills runs strong. I am going to change the fluid this weekend to the ATF+4 and see if that helps because the Bozo probably used the wrong fluid when he installed the new pump. There is a good chance the new one is bad also. I put 3 wheel bearing kits on my Ram before I found a good one once. It does happen. Good luck with your pump.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Well everyone I've talked to about this says that's just how Dodge's are, the pumps whine, but nobody can tell me why.

Makes no sense to me at all, something causes the whine, I seriously doubt that all of these trucks just came off the assembly line whining, I'd have brought the truck back after 50 feet if it was whining when I left the dealer lot.

I have tried every friggin bleeding technique out there on this truck, and to be honest I see NO air at all in the fluid, and the steering works perfect, but when I drive it sounds like a bad radio ground constantly, and turning in and out of a parking spot sound like a cat in heat under my hood. It seems I've just changed a perfectly good pump out for a re-manned one that probably isn't as good of a pump.

I'm completely at a loss and can't believe I'm gonna have to just deal with this whine. A 25 year old Chevy van pulled up next to me in a parking lot yesterday, looked like it had been to hell and back, and it made no noise at all pulling in or out of that spot, mine sounds like how that Chevy should sound.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P/S whine

I have had the same problem with mine too. Those cardone pumps are really cheap and make sure you install the pulley with the right tools. the pulley cannot be pressed on you have to use the tool that came with the pump. I would buy a new pulley also as they are plastic and on mine the pulley was spinning on the shaft causing the noise.
New pulley is only $20.00 but got rid of the noise. (was well worth it)

You also need to make sure you bleed the air out of the pump too. Crack the line or lines on the rack and pinion.

Hope I have helped out.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First did you replace your belt? It could be the belt. Next it could be the tensioner not keeping the belt tight enough.

I just had a PS sequel, I changed the pump nothing. I changed the Idler pulley, nothing. I swapped to my old belt I kept as a spare and that did it. LOL I still need to get a new belt.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Thanks for the ideas guys. I bought the pump with the pulley already on it, so it is a new pulley and it was put on by Cardone (which might not be a good thing). I will make a mark on it just to check if the pulley is slipping, but I don't think it is.

I didn't replace my belt, tensioner or idler when I did the pump, but I'm not having a squealing issue related to anything with the belt, this is definitely a whine inside the pump itself, totally different than a belt squeal.

I've talked to a few people that say that's just how Dodge pumps are, even though a re-manned Cardone isn't technically a Dodge pump, but I refuse to believe that it's "just how they are". No way they are supposed to make that kind of whine.

I've tried all the way's I know to bleed the air, jacked up off the ground with the engine off turning back and forth very slow. Jacked up turning back and forth very slow with the engine on and going back and forth very slow with the wheels on the ground engine running. I cannot get it to stop.

How do you bleed it by cracking the line at the rack? Do you have to crack the high pressure line while somebody turns the wheel, or just crack it while it's idling, or do you crack the low pressure return line?

I really need to get this whine gone, it is making me hate driving my truck. The steering works great, but the whine is unbearable especially when turning into or out of a parking spot. The new pump sounds no different at all than the old pump.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I may make a suggestion. My Daddy had a '88 Buick that had the same problem. Regardless of what he did or replaced it still whined. I picked up a bottle of Lucas PS Sealer & Conditioner and the whine stopped almost instantly. He drove the car a lot more years and the problem never came back. Seems at this point you're willing to try anything and the Lucas will not harm anything so if it cures your problem then it's well worth the $$$.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Yeah man you're right, I will try anything. I am almost ready to replace all lines and the rack just so I know everything is new. Guess dumping in a bottle of Lucas couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestion bwdakrt. I have heard never to put anything in these Dodge P/S systems except ATF+4, but at this point what does it matter, aint like the whine is gonna get worse, it already sounds like a cat in heat.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dakmm
Yeah man you're right, I will try anything. I am almost ready to replace all lines and the rack just so I know everything is new. Guess dumping in a bottle of Lucas couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestion bwdakrt. I have heard never to put anything in these Dodge P/S systems except ATF+4, but at this point what does it matter, aint like the whine is gonna get worse, it already sounds like a cat in heat.
The good thing about the Lucas additive is it's compatible with all types fluids and it sure worked great in the Buick.

Quick Reply: P/S whine will not go away!!!!!