2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Strange whine under acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Roogiee
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange whine under acceleration.

Hey guys, I've been lurking the forums for a while as I bought my first Dodge truck almost a year ago. I did a search on noises but I don't know if they fit my situation or not and I would appreciate your help.

The truck is an '04 4.7l 4x4 automatic, bone stock. I've noticed a whine around certain speeds that increases under acceleration. It SEEMS worse in the cold, it was -18 Celsius today (yay for Canadian winters). Regardless of whether the truck is warmed for 20 mins outside or started and driven from a heated underground garage the sound still occurs.

I've noticed it around 10 mph, 25 mph, and 50 mph. If the sound starts and I gun it a bit the sound sharply increases and sounds like its coming from the front end somewhere. EDIT: Internet research seems to indicate it comes from the rear end.

Let me know if there is any vital info I may be missing and thank you for any insight.

Last edited by Roogiee; 01-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
MikeRWK

Maybe someone installed a supercharger without you knowing? :P Check all the clamps on the air intake and see if theyre tight and check to see the box is also tight. Start the truck, pop the hood and have someone see if they can find where its coming from, it could also be an exhaust leak.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Roogiee
Amateur

I checked the airbox and it's fine, it only happens when driving. I did a little digging around the internet and someone uploaded a video that contained the same issue as mine:

http://youtu.be/u5Zf9yByjy4

Thats the noise I'm hearing.

EDIT: Did some more digging and found that most people that have a whining noise say it comes from the rear end. I'll open the rear diff at some point and inspect everything but I'll have to wait till the shop space is available (living in a condo, the board doesn't like us working on vehicles). I could be wrong so if anyone has a similar experience please post!

Last edited by Roogiee; 01-15-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it is not coming from the transfer case? Mine whines.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never heard a rear end sound like that. They are more low growling noises. I would start with idle pulley and the tensioner. Check to make sure all your other pulleys are tight and spin freely.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Roogiee
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I've never heard a rear end sound like that. They are more low growling noises. I would start with idle pulley and the tensioner. Check to make sure all your other pulleys are tight and spin freely.
I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and that seems to be his conclusion as well. I'll take it into his shop on the weekend and check these.

I should have taken automotive instead of carpentry but what is a man to do?

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Roogiee
I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and that seems to be his conclusion as well. I'll take it into his shop on the weekend and check these.

I should have taken automotive instead of carpentry but what is a man to do?

Thanks for the suggestions all.
I took automotive because growing up I learned a lot of carpentry from my dad so it was really the only thing I wanted to take lol Both parts are easy to change about 30min for both if your not familiar with doing it

Quick Reply: Strange whine under acceleration.