2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bringing up effeciency or MPG.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:06 AM
fatfreebrownie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing up effeciency or MPG.

90% of my driving is location to location, in the service industry, with a range from San Diego to San Francisco (a radius of 400 miles).
Daily, I average 85 miles per day.

I've been looking into mods to increase effeciency or MPG, without...

1. reducing RPMS
2. premature wear on the engine or transmission

Anyone have any answers, out there?

So far, I looked into a CAI (Cold Air Intake), and a review on them came up negative because of excessive engine wear.
How about a K&N high flow air filter? Or, is there a CAI which wouldn't add excessive engine wear?

Exhaust seem to be a good choice, but which one?
Gibson Dual Split?
Flowmaster Dual Split?
Spintech Dual Side Exit?
Magnaflow Side Exit?

Then, there's the mod chips...
How about a Racing-X performance mod? They claim to boost RPMs and MPGs. But, I can't find any reviews.

I read about Underdrive pulleys (on this site) and Single Ceramic headers, but only find RPM related info. But, no reviews on effeciency or engine wear.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19417/F199F28E15214364A19BD7271B9C7D5D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2005, 09:02 PM
TexasNative
Professional
Default RE: Bringing up effeciency or MPG.

ok bud heres my OPNION only adding a CAI/short ram, cat back exhaust, and if u have the bucks a chip and or headers will only help your engine because it wont have to work near as hard when u free up the restrictive intake and exhaust. Adding a chip and headers only help you by further increasing your horsepower/gas mileage( but u need to do the intake and exhaust first) ONLY IF U KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE GAS!!!!!!!!! BTW what size engine do you have? I have done all of the above and i get about 17 in the city if I keep my foot out of it if I dont then I get about 12-13 keep in mind though if u put a chip in (like the superchips programmer) will require u to run premium.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:18 AM
fatfreebrownie

Thank You so much, TexasNative. My engine size: 4.7L Magnum V8.

Basically... CAI and Exhaust, first. And, No K&N high flow filter.

From your CAI recommendation, I found this from 71RoadRunner, in the Dodge Forum...

"You will gain a few MPG. A CAI lets more air in than stock and it's colder air as well, both things that increase power and performance. More power means that the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the job done, this is why it gets better fuel mileage."

Now, on wear & tear from a CAI...

I found articles that all point not to the CAI, itself, as the cause of premature engine wear, but from the cotton gauze filter accompanied with all aftermarket CAIs. If you quickly sub the filter for a foam or paper filter, you won't have the wear problem cause by a CAI mod.

Regarding, cat back exhausts. Exhaust moding is definately a plus for rpms and mpgs. I'll have to research which exhaust has the best gains, and which one is the quietest. (not interested in a noisy engine) What brand do you have? I've been eyeing the following: Gibson Dual Split, Flowmaster Dual Split, Spintech Dual Side Exit, and a Magnaflow Side Exit. I like the look of the Spintech, and it won't get scrapped from driveways, since it's a side exit. I also heard of Dynomax and Borland being mentioned as good exhaust mods. Damn! I wish there was a graph for rpm, mpg, and noise level!

Old 08-07-2005, 03:20 AM
fatfreebrownie

Thank You so much, TexasNative. My engine size: 4.7L Magnum V8.

Basically... CAI and Exhaust, first. And, No K&N high flow filter.

From your CAI recommendation, I found this from 71RoadRunner, in the Dodge Forum...

"You will gain a few MPG. A CAI lets more air in than stock and it's colder air as well, both things that increase power and performance. More power means that the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the job done, this is why it gets better fuel mileage."

Now, on wear & tear from a CAI...

I found articles that all point not to the CAI, itself, as the cause of premature engine wear, but from the cotton gauze filter accompanied with all aftermarket CAIs. If you quickly sub the filter for a foam or paper filter, you won't have the wear problem cause by a CAI mod.

Regarding, cat back exhausts. Exhaust moding is definately a plus for rpms and mpgs. I'll have to research which exhaust has the best gains, and which one is the quietest. (not interested in a noisy engine) What brand do you have? I've been eyeing the following: Gibson Dual Split, Flowmaster Dual Split, Spintech Dual Side Exit, and a Magnaflow Side Exit. I like the look of the Spintech, and it won't get scrapped from driveways, since it's a side exit. I also heard of Dynomax and Borland being mentioned as good exhaust mods. Damn! I wish there was a graph for rpm, mpg, and noise level!

Brownie
http://www.myspace.com/fatfreebrownie
Dodge Dakota 2002 Magnum V8 4.7L
quad cab with towing option

Quick Reply: Bringing up effeciency or MPG.