2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

00 dakota e-brake light stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM
mudder_dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 00 dakota e-brake light stuck on

I got a very minor problem going on with my truck but it still annoys me so I figured lets see what it means. Brakes work perfect and they should considering I put new brakes all around and both new wheel cylanders in also. One thing I did notice is the left side e-brake cable is dangling down and I'm pretty sure that means either the cable is broken or stretched. Would that cause such a problem? And next I haven't used the e-brake ever for fear of breaking a stretched cable or something. Would it still work on the other side if I were to use it? I covered the mechanism in never sease and the cable to that side is tight still. Would it hurt anything to use it on just that side? Thanks everyone for your time and advice.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default open up and look

open up and look inside I bet the cable was never connected correctly they rarely brake but you never know just pop off the drum and look inside

Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 PM
mudder_dak

I had all of it off when I did the brake job. It is connected and connected correctly. But if I lift the back end up in the air and floor the e-brake the left wheel still spins freely. I didn't ever test the other side. Like I said before for fear of messing something up I haven't used it since when I tested it. And the cable is clearly visible hanging down under the driver side of the truck. I think the cable broke somewhere in the middle.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default got a pic?

Get some pic’s of this and post it ok a couple of clear shots will do

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
mudder_dak

Will do tomorrow. Its dark out rightnow. Thanks for the help! Would this cable being broken explain the e-brake light stuck on in my guage cluster?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The warning light won't come on due a to bad cable. If there is a problem with the brakes it will though.

From the 2000 FSM:

OPERATION
The red warning light alerts the driver if a pressure differential exists between the front and rear hydraulic systems or the parking brakes are applied.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
aircruiser
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The light will come on if the lever is pulled or the brake fluid is low. I would make sure you didn't accidently tap it by mistake when getting in or out of the truck and make sure the fluid level is where it should be.

HTH

Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 AM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aircruiser
The light will come on if the lever is pulled or the brake fluid is low. I would make sure you didn't accidently tap it by mistake when getting in or out of the truck and make sure the fluid level is where it should be.

HTH
Agreed....check the brake fluid, if that's good hold up on the e-brake release handle and give the pedal a tug up, mine comes on sometimes if I hit a good bump

Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 AM
mudder_dak

Fluid was checked first time I saw the light. Its topped off and my brakes are all new pads, shoes, rotors, and drums. And wheel cylanders, the master cylander looks replaced as well. As for bumping it ill check to see if that by chance happened. Does anyone know if the cables from one side to the other are completely seperate? If so in theory I could use my e-brake it would just lock the right wheel correct? Thanks for all the input!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:27 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default This is what I know

If the e-brake is depressed even a little bit it will show as being engaged.

Now the e-brake switch may be broken showing the light you see thinking its engaged that may the problem look down by the pedal you can't miss it.

Now the cable is one cable from the e-brake pedal most of the way to the back brakes then it Y’s into two cables one to each rear drum I would not use it if one is not working properly but this sounds strange I still think one side has slipped off and out of the drum.

Quick Reply: 00 dakota e-brake light stuck on