2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heat doesn't get hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Ziegled1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heat doesn't get hot

What would make my Dakota not blow hot air? I flushed the radiator and refilled it. The Tempature gauge is moving and getting in the right area. But the air is just warm coming out the vents.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's probably a dirty or partially clogged heater core.

Try backflushing it, it usually works.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 PM
aircruiser
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
It's probably a dirty or partially clogged heater core.

Try backflushing it, it usually works.
This, and make sure all the vaccum lines are properly connected. I wasn't getting heat in my Jeep grand cherokee and it was a vac line that had popped off under the hood.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Rob2004

Similar to the above post make sure the valve is opening that allows the water to flow.

Last edited by Rob2004; 02-06-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

There is no valve that allows the water to flow thru the heater core. The heat inside the cab is controlled by the blend door.

Remove the 2 heater hoses from the intake manifold and the water pump. Using a water hose, force water into the end of one hose and then the other. Keep doing this back and forth flushing until the water runs clear. Reconnect the heater hoses, start the engine and allow it to come up to operating temp while topping off the coolant system with antifreeze and allowing all the air bubbles to work out of the system.

You'll be surprised at all the crud that comes out of the heater core and will really appreciate the new found heat inside the cab.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
aircruiser
Professional

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
There is no valve that allows the water to flow thru the heater core. The heat inside the cab is controlled by the blend door.

Remove the 2 heater hoses from the intake manifold and the water pump. Using a water hose, force water into the end of one hose and then the other. Keep doing this back and forth flushing until the water runs clear. Reconnect the heater hoses, start the engine and allow it to come up to operating temp while topping off the coolant system with antifreeze and allowing all the air bubbles to work out of the system.

You'll be surprised at all the crud that comes out of the heater core and will really appreciate the new found heat inside the cab.
Yeah flushing the heater core helps a ton but I gotta say, I love your sig line haha

Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Rob2004

I forgot to preface it with "without looking at the manual". I was thinking of another vehicle with a valve and picturing a blend door on an older car.

Quick Reply: Heat doesn't get hot