2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission drain plug addition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission drain plug addition?

Has anyone added a drain plug to their transmission pan? I have a 1997 Dakota Sport 4x4 with the 5.2 V8. Not sure what tranny it has. Wondering where the best spot to mount a drain plug in the pan would be. I am thinking maybe in the back of the pan toward the bottom? I know it won't drain all the fluid, but anything would help? I do have skid plates, so I could probably put it in the bottom of the pan.

Any suggestions anyone?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the lowest or deepest part of the pan.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made one once. most chrysler trans pans are mostly flat, so you to miss any levers inside the trasn, and the filter. Chrysler did at one time have a pan with a drain plug in it. check out the parts suppliers. just put it into google. just dont over tighten the pan bolts, and DONT use rtv, DO use permatex #2, on the pan only. all so i do something that i get flamed for, i put rear end grease in the trans, up to now i have only used 2 qts. but i did talk to a guy that used all tractor oil in a race trans. in my next time that is what ill try. now i dont want people flaming me for this, DO NOT TELL ME THIS IS BAD, IAM NOT TELLING PEOPLE TO DO IT,

Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

I usually use a rubber replacement gasket with permatex. I torque the pan bolts also.

Interesting, differential lube in an automatic transmission?

I was wondering about using some Seafoam transmission cleaner in mine before I change the fluid. Has anyone used this? I am also thinking about adjusting the bands, 95,000 and they have never been adjusted. Does anyone have the procedure for my 97 4x4 automatic?

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
GrnDak01
Rookie
Default gasket

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
I usually use a rubber replacement gasket with permatex. I torque the pan bolts also.

Interesting, differential lube in an automatic transmission?

I was wondering about using some Seafoam transmission cleaner in mine before I change the fluid. Has anyone used this? I am also thinking about adjusting the bands, 95,000 and they have never been adjusted. Does anyone have the procedure for my 97 4x4 automatic?

Thanks.
If you use the rubber gasket, I would strongly advise against torqueing to spec. I did this and indented the pan flange where the bolts go through. I used a C-clamp to try and flatten them back out. I think RTV or Permatex #2 as mentioned would be a better way to go. I believe Dodge also advises the use of gasket sealer rather that a gasket. JMO. I put one of these in so I could screw in my trans temp sensor. I just have to unscrew the sensor and use it as a drain plug. Best of luck.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

I have changed the fluid a couple of times with the rubber gasket and always torque to the spec with the filter kit/gasket. Doesn't seem to have been an issue yet, I will take a close look at the pan though. The Durango I had used the gasket sealer in a can instead of a gasket as you said. Seemed strange to me, but it worked. Curious, where did you mount your tranny temp gauge? Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
GrnDak01
Rookie

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
I have changed the fluid a couple of times with the rubber gasket and always torque to the spec with the filter kit/gasket. Doesn't seem to have been an issue yet, I will take a close look at the pan though. The Durango I had used the gasket sealer in a can instead of a gasket as you said. Seemed strange to me, but it worked. Curious, where did you mount your tranny temp gauge? Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.
You're very welcome. I put mine on the drivers side at the deepest point. Going from memory I think it is 1/4 to 1/3 back from the front of the pan on the drivers side. I think if you have the pan out you will see that you have plenty of room. I would also recommned permanently sealing the drain fitting with JB weld, weld it up, or braze it in. The stock gasket/seals are crap and did not seal for me. When I had to fix it is when I discovered that I had dimpled the pan bolt holes. Oh, and don't forget to use seal tape on the plug. Yeah that will leak too if you don't use the tape. At least it has for me.

Quick Reply: Transmission drain plug addition?