2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

gas leaking out of truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gas leaking out of truck

Well a while back I noticed one night when I pulled up to the house a few minutes after filling up the gas tank that gas was leaking out of the truck. It was driping put rite where the flex line meets the metal piping the runs from the fuel bezel to the flex line. The shop told me that the metal tubing was more then likely rusted but they couldnt find a leak. I have since not noticed a leak until today. Its been about to months and I filled up the tank last nite and today when I came out of the house it was dripping gas on the street. Im not sure if its running down the metal to the flex line or what but its dripping rite off the flex line. I also added marvels mystery oil to the gas last nite. The fuel bezel (where the gas cap and gas door are was wet also and had some gas down the side of it). ANy suggestions? ways to possibly patch what is leaking or ways to figure out what it is? with the price of gas i cant afford to be leaking it out. thanks guys

Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 1965 chrysler 300L. the steel fuel line went into the front frame box. water in the box rusted the line only a little, it would NOT leek out. but at high rpm it let air in and and limit the rpm. true story. the hose on the suction of a old type pump will let air in, but NOT leak fuel out.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM
bbeebee

See my post about filler neck rusted.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

A link would be great

Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was leaking at the same place. New ones are expensive because they are a dealer only part. I took off my fuel filler and measured how long the hoses were and I added 3in to that. Went to my local auto parts store and bought fuel filler hose and hose clamps. I just cut off my old hose and then put the new hose on the neck with a hose clamp.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
bbeebee
Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

today I realized that I have gas leaking from the smaller hose leading to the gas tank. Not the hose thats probably like 2 or 3 inches round but the much smaller one like 3/8s or something. Its like a hard rubber with like that heat shrink type stuff over it and it has some sort of gash where it looks as it something hit it. Is there a way to fix this with something and pipe clamps? Any way to repair it without replacing the line? thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 PM
JustinDD99
Rookie

I had same problems and Tuesday morning after filling up my metal brackets rusted out and my gas tank fell. Turns out with the brackets rusting, the tank slowly was lowering from the weight of 21 gallons and made the filler neck rust out too.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

what about a patch for this? like silicone over the hole and then using something like they use to repair a garden hose. Some sort of rubber to wrap around the hose and then a pipe clamp on each end?

Quick Reply: gas leaking out of truck