2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota, crank no start

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 AM
95SHO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota, crank no start

I have a 2000 Dakota with a 4.7 that I bought not running. The cam & crank sensors are both new and it still will not start. I have no spark, no spark or injector pulse.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you have any codes?

Key on-off-on-off-leave on. They'll display in the odometer window.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

thats kind of a tough one to call... Aftermarket alarm, PCM, crank and cam sensors faulty, ignition switch faulty, tps faulty, wiring harness....

Last edited by crateampsrock; 02-23-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe its a faulty auto shut down relay? Whats the history behind the truck?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
95SHO

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Do you have any codes?

Key on-off-on-off-leave on. They'll display in the odometer window.
I have a snap on scanner, no codes.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 PM
95SHO

Originally Posted by crateampsrock
thats kind of a tough one to call... Aftermarket alarm, PCM, crank and cam sensors faulty, ignition switch faulty, tps faulty, wiring harness....

Cam sensor and crank sensor are both new. I even tried a second new cam sensor. No after market equioment of any kind installed. Also my scanner will not communicate with any other module, just the PCM.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 PM
95SHO

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Maybe its a faulty auto shut down relay? Whats the history behind the truck?

Unknown history on the truck. The PO said it ran before it sat for almost a year. I checked the ASD relay and it's good.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
pointitdownhill

Having similar problems with my truck!! It threw codes saying it was the crankshaft sensor replaced that then it ran for 4 days with out any problems then on the 4th day it started to jerk and have a rough idle driving through town. what I would do before is turn the truck off restart and it would run fine. restarted 3 times around town got to work turned off truck and after work it would just crank freely with no start. Now got code for camshaft sensor I have replaced that and cleared codes and still nothing. So I put the original sensor back in after cleaning it off. Going to replace with new again after work. I have unhooked the battery on it now for the time being as I have seen some other posts saying possible to get these codes with an older battery and others replacing these 2 sensors back to back and having tried a new battery after it works no problem. Also leaving it unhooked long enough will reset all codes by itself. Really hoping it works as it seems like I have just been throwing money at it to no avail. It is also confusing the hell out of me as switching out the faulty parts based on the codes has not worked as of yet. If you get somewheres with yours please post what you did to fix it and I will do the same thanks.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
95SHO

My truck wouldn't start using a crank sensor other than one from Dodge. I tried 3 crank sensors from other auto parts stores and with each one the truck wouldn't start. So I bought one from Dodge and it fired right up and has been running ever since.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM
pointitdownhill

Where did you get your cam sensor from is that dodge as well or is that an autoparts store sensor as well? Just wondering as I put in a NAPA crankshaft sensor and the truck ran fine for a few days after but now is calling for a camshaft sensor. Picked one of those up from napa and no luck. Have also read though that some of the auto part store replacement sensors run at way different wave lengths. Have heard that you can reflash the truck to accept them. Don't really have the money to keep tossing at this truck so hoping that I can get the dealer to reflash it for cheap and hope that makes it run again. The napa has said they wont take back either sensors so Im kinda screwed on those if I have to put new dodge ones in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota, crank no start