2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4x4 help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 help!

I have a 99 3.9 dakota, I replaced the transfer case last spring due to my front drive shaft joints going out and ripping the case in half. Just recently it has started making some weird and not good noises and I am stumped to what it is. When you put it in 4hi and start to turn or put a load on it then it starts popping and sounding like a ratchet like it isn't fully going into gear. Does the same thing in 4lo, but in 2 it doesn't do anything and the sound comes more from the middle to the front of the truck. I have checked the fluids and they are up, and just for added measures I just changed the fluid in the T-case this morning then went for a drive to test it out and it still did the same thing. It really has me puzzled. Is there adjustment that I can do or do I need to pull the t-case apart or my front diff? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I also have been trying to do searches to see if I could find anything and so far I haven't come across any solutions

Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

How are you testing this? Is it on a dry surface?

It could be a loose chain in the transfer case.

How are your CV joints?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I have been testing it on snow/frozen dirt, I did try it on dry ground a couple times. The cv joints are good I replaced the drivers side about a year and a half ago and the passenger side about a year before that. The truck does have 200k+ miles on it and not sure if the hubs have ever been replaced so wondering if that might be causing it. The t-case is still under warranty since it was replaced last year.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Unless you have AWD don't test it on dry pavement. You will destroy the transfer case. It really is intended only for slippery conditions.

I wouldn't think its the hubs.

Can you isolate the noise better? If it isn't the transfer case then maybe the front driveshaft? Less likely, you may also want to pull the cover on the front differential just to check the gears.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

Okay, I'll check the front diff once I get paid this next week or so when I have the money for the oil. The front shaft was rebuilt with new joints the sametime the t-case was replaced. As for the sound when sitting in the truck it is hard to tell where in the front it is coming from, I'll have to get someone to stand outside the truck for me to try to listen.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

Okay so I just had my dad listen to it when it made the noises and it is coming from the t-case. Is there any sort of chain tensioner or a adjustment that can be made to tighten the chain, or should I try and get it warrantied? The case is not even quite a year old.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There is no adjustment to the chain.

I'd take it back and see if they'll warranty whatever it is.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

whn you turn are you locking the wheel (turning until the wheel wont turn anymore)? Turning the wheel all the way will make cause binding and make a popping sound and could cause some damage to the front end and case

Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

no that is one thing I always avoid cause I know it isn't good for it. My dad helped me listen to it and narrowed the sound to the transfer case. The sound came from the belly of the truck just infront of the doors, and if you held the shifter you could feel it shake and jump when it did it. So I found the recipt and am going to the place the I bought it from today to see if they can warranty it. If they can't then it looks like I won't have 4x4 till I can save up the money to rebuild it since I am a poor married college student and have been putting my spare money into parts for my engine swap. If I do end up having to rebuild it my self is there a hd kit I can get for it?