2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CAI help MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A TB spacer? Those don't help anything with the way our engines work. They only would help if we had throttle body injection but other than that its a paper weight. Would probably add to the sound though.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

TB Spaces were used on Hot Rods mainly to lift the Carbs up and give a little more clearance for bigger Carbs; as well as to lift them up in the case of Cal induction hoods and Hoods scoops..

What they are being petted now are complete BS. They do nothing for EFI. If they did every car company would be using them to help them with emissions; and better fuel/air trims.. and extra HP>>

Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Im going to make a ColdAir/Ram Air (Sorta) intake... I'm going to do it cheaply and effectively when i get done Ill make some pulls with it as well and post some pics.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Im going to make a ColdAir/Ram Air (Sorta) intake... I'm going to do it cheaply and effectively when i get done Ill make some pulls with it as well and post some pics.

Sweet! I always look forward to DIY ideas/ solutions come to fruition. Maybe this will get me through my creators block with this CAI heat shield idea I have.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Us older 2nd Gen guys have the advantage we have alot of space between the Rad where as the 4.7 guys dont.. with out having to move alot of stuff.. :X..

I've been contemplating greatly what to use for the 'scoop' and i have a few ideas.. but I'm still trying to find an OEM scoop from off one of the cars that had them stock.

Else I might wind up fabricating something or 'rigging' something.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heat made by our engines makes a Cai almost pointless, if it weren't for the dramatic increase in airflow. Making the air a little bit colder is not going to help as much as you think. When I relocated my pipe to the wheel well in my Neon, the only difference I noticed was the sound quality, and it wasn't until I replaced the intake manifold accordion pipe that I noticed a difference.

Unless you have modified your engine to the max, relocating the cai pipe isn't going to do much. Putting a simple $30 eBay brand system in is good enough to achieve an increase in high end horsepower, and a slight, if noticeable increase in gas mileage, which is achieved through the improved airflow, and barely the temperature of the air.

We have to reset our ECUs so it can acclimate to the increased airflow, and if lower temperatures were a factor then the dodge ECU would throw a code stating that the IAT sensor voltage was low.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yes.. that's the basic premise I've been trying to explain to most of the people; but if you do it right and seal off the hott engine bay air from outside air.. you WILL see a slight/small if not dramatic difference in performance..

Proof? Go drive on warm day vs a day that it is 20 degrees cooler out side.. (more condensed air being its cooler) you will feel the difference..

That is what getting REAL cooler air from the outside; even though the outside air is HOTT; its most likely no where near as hott as in the cramped engine bay..

Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my CAI and insulated the aluminum tube. I ran a hose from in front of my radiator to the front of the filter through where the original air box opening was. I also opened the area next to my radiator some to let in more air. I have seen about a 3 mpg gain.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Cooler air is going to mean a better burn.. hows your performance been?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my crude-but-effective homebrew intake. I used a 10" round Edelbrock air cleaner with a 2" spacer and cut a hole in the bottom of my hood so it would get outside air from the hood scoops. It's not sealed to the hood (I may do that in the future), so it still gets some hot air when I'm not moving, but it should be pretty much all outside air going down the road. Now that I've seen it works, I'll probably replace the 10" air cleaner with a 14" K&N and put an Outerwears pre-filter on it to repel water in the winter. With my headers and custom exhaust, it makes a very noticeable difference in power throughout the RPM range.

Hoodopensmall.jpg

Hoodclosedsmall.jpg

Throughscoopsmall.jpg