2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CAI help MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same as mine haha, thought it was my pic at first! :P

Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM
httrdd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats good. Same ebay seller? Pretty quality stuff.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
fhadso
Veteran

This is my CAI. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...0&ref=gnr-prev

Regardless of if it's above the exhaust manifold, it allows more air into the engine through the improved filter. Any replacement of the stock air filter is an improvement. Hell, even the K&N drop in filter will work better than stock.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about making a induction tube or whatever its called where you run a tube from the bumper or whereever to the cold air intake so it can take in more cold air? anyone done this and have any pics?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

what I meant to say was has anyone made there cold air intake into a ram air and ran a tube to the bumper or grille? if so how did u do it? do u have any pics and how well does it work? thanks

Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There have been a few... and getting cooler air from outside the truck is a true CAI will actually do a lot better than just sitting in a hot engine bay..

I'm working on making a Ram air but probally going to use the factory air box to start off with. unless i find something better. because I want to be able to run a snorkel and have interchangeable tubing. .

Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

i was thinking about just using flex duct for a dryer vent and just putting a 90 or so on the bottom of the k&n shield. The bottom of the shield is open but I was also thinking about closing that off buy I may just buy a sheet of sheet metal and run the flex from the grill to that and then just screw it the the plate i put on the bottom of the heat shield. Its the aluminum flexible duct not the standard flex duct

Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure it would work but then at the same time I kinda want to make it look good; probably will be going with Schd. 80 pipe :X there are a few items i seen there in the plumbing section that might just work out nicely but I'm finding a few ram air inlets that can be used, im still looking though.

Now that I have a new MAP sensor and the truck seems to be doing a little better with the new MAP sensor; I'm moving forward full throttle again with this project i scraped about a year and a half ago..

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 04-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

You'll be doing yourself a solid by moving away from the stock air intake.
As far as the choice between a CAI and a TB; it will depend on how you drive and what you want to achieve. jondakotaguy is a really good guy to talk with about this kinda thing. Here is a good link to check out:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...r-cleaner.html
jondakotaguy better explained the difference between a CAI and TBs

As far as what I have, I run an Airaid 300-107 - it came with my heap when I bought it. it works well enough for me. It
didn't come with an air box though. I want one but I have not acquired or fabricated one yet one as of yet but all is good so far with it...

TBs are a nice, sleek and straight forward/ no B.S. air intake. I would be open to trying out one of those.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Will a CAI help my MPG at all? I have seen all different schools of thought on this. What is your experience with this in your Dakota?

Thanks all.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I have a air intake and a tb spacer and for me I have noticed a performance difference. It seems to me to have more get up and go as well as top end power.
macgollabhride if you want the factory air box I have one posted in the classifieds with a k&n drop in as well as a spare fram air filter that I am trying to sell.