2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Plugs and wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use NGK basic copper core plugs, I think it's the FR5, whichever one it is I use the stock heat range. I use Belden Premium wires, and the Echlin distributor cap and rotor button, both have brass contacts and hold up a lot better than the cheaper parts. I get the plugs, wires, cap and rotor all at Napa. I used to run 3923's, but Autolite moved some of their manufacturing to China not too long ago, and some Autolite parts are made in Mexico too, and there have been some reports of quality problems. The NGK's I put in my truck on my last tune-up were made in Japan, they are doing fine, and are a great plug for a good price, just a couple bucks and change each at Napa. My truck runs very well on NGK's. NGK also still makes some plugs and other parts at their factory here in the USA too, I think it is in West Virginia or Virginia, can't remember which.

Jimmy

Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 PM
00daksport25
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSD is great in theory, but like a rep told me one time that if I want a reliable system that won't hurt the life of the engine it would be Accel since they've been doing it longer and better than MSD. Accel used to make(or still does, not sure) a universal kit. 300+ I believe it was.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by httrdd
Details? I had a msd on my Legacy GT and it made quite the difference.
No offense but take this into consideration: That's great if you successfully ran MSD on you're Subaru but that doesn't at all mean that they'll fare well on all other vehicles.
Heck, just as one example, there are vehicles that can only run high octane fuel; now compare three to four
fuel grades to all the different car part manufacturers and how many different parts they produce - just for one vehicle. It's like a damn jigsaw puzzle!

Quick Reply: Plugs and wires?