2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny filter change, drop and refill

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny filter change, drop and refill

Just changed the filter in my tranny and installed a drain in the pan...no more fluid all over the floor... that sucked. Just did a drop and refill, fluid didn't look that bad after about 35K.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've never changed the transmission fluid myself. I've always had the transmission flushed in vehicles I've owned. How hard is it to drop the pan? I assume just take the bolts out pry it a little take the gasket off, then re rtv and re install. Is the filter rite there when you take the cover off? Sorry about the stupid questions. I've done alot on vehicles but never touched the transmission. thanks

Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

Unbolt the pan leaving 4 corner bolts to hold the pan in place. Have a large pan that will fit under the tranny. It should hold at least 6 quarts. I have a large rectangular pan about 5 inches deep. I had to replace 5 quarts of ATF+4 on my refill. Slowly loosen the last four bolts and drop one corner to start draining fluid. Hold the tranny pan with your hand and eventually get all the bolts out and lower into your pan hopefully not spilling much on the floor. Unfortunately my pan slid on my oily hand and half the fluid missed the pan. I had an old vinyl table cloth under the pan, but a lot ran off that too. After the pan is off my filter is held in place with 3 torx head screws, remove them and the filter drops off along with more fluid out of the tranny, be prepared. Some of the trucks have a spin on filter inside the tranny also, I am not familiar with yours. The auto parts store can tell you how many and what kind of filters you have. My daughters 2005 Dakota had the spin on filter also. They should also be able to tell you how many quarts of tranny fluid it will take for the refill. Keep in mind this is not a flush, you are just changing the fluid in the pan. Clean the pan out and clean the magnet inside the pan. Wipe all gasket surfaces clean with lint free cloths or towels. Make sure the gasket surfaces are clean and smooth. My filter kit came with 2 gaskets. Use the one that fits and if possible lay it flat in the sun to help flatten it out. I do not use any RTV etc., just the new gasket. If you get it on wrong it could break loose in the tranny and plug something. I lay the gasket on the pan and thread the screws through the gasket to hold everything in place. Replace the pan and torque to the appropriate value using a criss cross pattern to tighten the bolts. I actually went about 1 ft lb less than the filter kit said for the gasket. This gives me some fudge room if I have any leaks. I also drilled my pan and added a drain plug for the next time I drain the fluid. It should drain about 90% of the fluid resulting in much less mess. It is a simple process, but can be messy if things go wrong. I have never had the mess I had this last time and it was my fault because I got in a awkward position. Refill the tranny through the dipstick opening. I put about 4 quarts back in which was enough to drive it. After adding the 4 quarts of fluid, I started the vehicle and moved the gear selector through all the gears slowly, pausing about 15 or 20 seconds in each gear then checked to make sure I was in the lower safe level on the dipstick. Your dipstick should tell you what gear to have it in and how to check it, go by it. Drive the vehicle and get the fluid warm, then leave it idling in neutral and finish filling the tranny carefully monitoring the level until it is full. Drive again and check the fluid level and for leaks. I have had no leaks using this method and have changed it several times. This is also the time to adjust your bands if needed because one adjustment is inside the tranny and the pan has to be removed to adjust it. My truck shifts very well so I didn't bother the bands. There are very good threads in here discussing the band adjustment and from what I hear some trucks may not need adjustment.

Hope this helps, yours may be slightly different, but I am sure someone here has changed the tranny fluid that your truck has and can be more specific to your truck. I have a 44RE tranny. Good luck.

Last edited by UWAdventurer; 04-02-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for the info. Sounds like a great idea to drill a hole for a drain plug in the bottom of the pan.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

If you install a drain plug be careful where you install it to clear the internals when you re-install the pan. I put mine right next to the magnet on the flat spot of my pan, there was enough room there if drilled carefully. Should be a real plus on the next drain and fill I do.

Quick Reply: Tranny filter change, drop and refill