2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition tumbler/cylinder replacment questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ignition tumbler/cylinder replacment questions...

My ignition lock cylinder/tumbler is pretty worn out and it's just getting more annoying - sometimes takes me up to 10 Mins to get the damned key to turn. It's not chipped - it's just a regular/ old school key.
When I put the key into the ignition to start my truck, it's like I'm using the wrong key. I bought two new keys from the dealer and they cut them for me per the VIN/ key code but it didn't help (they're actually worse).
Have any of you replaced an
ignition lock cylinder/tumbler?
I've gotten very good at taking care of most problems that occur on my Dakota anymore but this doesn't seem like a common problem. If I could find a video or Pics I could better make a decision on whether or not to either take it to the dealer or do it myself.

Thoughts/ suggestions?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking Best is a lock place

Best is a lock place they will be fast at it had my old truck done they will need to rekey all the locks at the same time.

But if the place is good they will be fast dont forget spare keys.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Never done it but like you I try to do most of my own repairs. It doesn't look very hard to do, might be worth a try.

This is from an '00. Might help.

You need the key in the lock to do this.

KEY CYLINDER REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect negative cable from battery.
(2) If equipped with tilt column, remove tilt lever by turning it counterclockwise.
(3) Remove upper and lower covers (shrouds) from steering column.
(4) If equipped with automatic transmission, place shifter in PARK position.
(5) A retaining pin is located at side of key cylinder assembly.
(a) Rotate key to RUN position.
(b) Press in on retaining pin while pulling key cylinder from ignition switch.

INSTALLATION:
(1) With key into ignition key cylinder, rotate key clockwise until retaining pin can be depressed.
(2) Install key cylinder into ignition switch by aligning retaining pin into retaining pin slot. Push key cylinder into switch until retaining pin engages. After pin engages, rotate key to OFF or LOCK position.
(3) Check for proper retention of key cylinder by attempting to pull cylinder from switch.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Best is a lock place they will be fast at it had my old truck done they will need to rekey all the locks at the same time.

But if the place is good they will be fast don't forget spare keys.

Did you have your old truck ignition assembly re-keyed or did you get the assembly replaced? Mine has to be replaced. It's too all-over-the-place to be re-keyed. I can get a new tumbler from the dealer that will match-up with the existing key code so I don't have to worry about replacing the door locks. I was hoping to just buy the part and install myself to avoid a fleecing by the dealer to install it. The price of the part, from what I remember, wasn't devastating.

Spare keys: I'm hyper vigilant when it comes to that kinda stuff.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default I suggest

I suggest calling a few lock places and find out how much it will be.

So you are saying the ignition switch needs replacing its all messed up?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Never done it but like you I try to do most of my own repairs. It doesn't look very hard to do, might be worth a try.

This is from an '00. Might help.

You need the key in the lock to do this.

KEY CYLINDER REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect negative cable from battery.
(2) If equipped with tilt column, remove tilt lever by turning it counterclockwise.
(3) Remove upper and lower covers (shrouds) from steering column.
(4) If equipped with automatic transmission, place shifter in PARK position.
(5) A retaining pin is located at side of key cylinder assembly.
(a) Rotate key to RUN position.
(b) Press in on retaining pin while pulling key cylinder from ignition switch.

INSTALLATION:
(1) With key into ignition key cylinder, rotate key clockwise until retaining pin can be depressed.
(2) Install key cylinder into ignition switch by aligning retaining pin into retaining pin slot. Push key cylinder into switch until retaining pin engages. After pin engages, rotate key to OFF or LOCK position.
(3) Check for proper retention of key cylinder by attempting to pull cylinder from switch.
DUDE! This is perfect! Thanks! Where the heck did you come across this? I've been looking around for videos and through other forums, on and off since i got my Dakota in October but I never found anything as useful as this. I want/need to do this sooner than later and when I attempt it, I'll be posting a step-by-step install complete with Pics.

Thanks again 00DakDan!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

I suggest calling a few lock places and find out how much it will be.

So you are saying the ignition switch needs replacing its all messed up?

Yep, The keyed ignition is just worn out.
I'm feeling confident that I can possibly tackle the install myself thanks to the removal & install directions that 00DakDan posted.

If I can't handle it myself, I will be calling around to different lock places.

Stay tuned!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default There are a few things I just pay out to get done.

00DakDan

There are a few things like this I dont want to do plus if they do it wrong it wont trash anything it probably just wont work thats all.

Or what could they F*** up doing this its just the ignition well I guess they could fry some wires.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

00DakDan

There are a few things like this I dont want to do plus if they do it wrong it wont trash anything it probably just wont work thats all.

Or what could they F*** up doing this its just the ignition well I guess they could fry some wires.
I can get cagey about working some things but once I have some solid (solid-enough) direction and feel that I can actually take a particular task on, there's no stopping me. It's like a compulsion.
I plan on taking my time with it.

Once I get my eyes on how it's actually/physically setup/what is involved I can then make a decision whether or not I can realistically handle it myself. I'm definitely going to give it a shot but it if it gets hairy and outta my comfort zone, I'll be on the hunt for a professional to do it.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I hear you 98.

Always disconnect the battery when doing anything electrical first! That's just common sense.

The directions are for just the cylinder itself not the ignition switch (electrical) part. So there shouldn't be any problems with wires frying.

Macgollabhride, it came out of the 2000 Factory Shop Manual. You can download it through this link: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ignition tumbler/cylinder replacment questions...