2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tail light not working--Low Voltage (9v instead of 12)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM
joemama1967
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light not working--Low Voltage (9v instead of 12)

I searched and I couldn't find any post about the tail light not working because of low voltage. Seems that most posts I found relate to no voltage issues.

Well, the problem is that the driver's rear tail lamp is not lighting. When I hit it with a test meter, it shows around 9volts. When I check the right side, it shows 12 volts. Of course, the right side and all the other parking lights work great. It's just that the driver's side does not want to come on.

I looked as best as I could under the truck to trace the wires. Everything seems to be okay and it in it's protective plastic sleeves. I cannot see anything obviously wrong.

Has anyone experienced the problem with low voltage across the wire and any possible solutions. Worse comes to worse, I will cut the wire and splice it in with the right side. I really don't want to do that if someone knows a fix for this.

This is for a 2002 Dak 4x4 SLT.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by joemama1967; 06-13-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have some corrosion or something that is causing resistance mind you not that much the bulb should still light up slightly at 9 volts anyway the resistance what ever it is will eventually cause the fuse to blow out and you will have no brake lights. I would check the socket and then the fist splice and so on

Quick Reply: Tail light not working--Low Voltage (9v instead of 12)