2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM
CowardlyDawg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating problem

Hey everybody, just signed up to the forums, not new to dodges however. I'll post a "new member" thread in a little bit. But as of right now I've got a small issue.

I just purchased a 2000 Dakota R/T. Everything on it is awesome, runs great, sounds good. And she hauls *** when needed. The only issue I have is I have no heat. All of my vents work (defrost, feet, face, etc) when the switch directs it to, Untill the temp **** is turned to hot. When the **** is at cold it blows out of all of the vents with no problem. So this doesnt seem to be an actuator door or something. When I turn heat on, i hear air flow coming from the glove box area. So after cleaning out the truck I found what looks like a small duct lying under the back seat, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me where it goes maybe.

Only numbers on it are
55056090 AB
CAV. #1

Ive done a few searches on google and found nothing.

For all i know it could just be a floor vent? Which brings me to my 2nd question, the heater core was replaced by the previous owner, could it be as simple as a vaccum line not working properly?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-06-17_13.08.11.jpg (87.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome CowardlyDawg,

It looks like the passenger side floor heater plenum. It should just snap in place. I haven't gone out to my truck to crawl under the dash to check though

It's not clear from your post. Does the air still flow when you turn the **** to hot or does it stop completely?

It sounds like a problem with the blend door. The blend door is cable operated by the **** on the dash. When in cold it directs air around the heater core. When in hot, it sends air through the heater core. There may be a blockage or the door wasn't put back correctly when the heater core was replaced.

The other doors, for recirc, defrost/heat, bi-level, are vacuum operated.

Unfortunately, you need to roll the dash back and pull the HVAC plenum to get to the door.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:03 PM
CowardlyDawg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan thanks for the reply, after looking around it does look like just a floor piece. Sorry about not making it a little more clear, air flow stops completely, it almost sounds like the air is trapped behind the glove box in the heater core area. It oughta be fun pulling it all back apart haha.

Quick Reply: Heating problem