2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

LED Dome/Cargo Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation LED Dome/Cargo Light Problems

So I replaced all my dome lights and cargo lights with LED, but now when they are "OFF" the still glow slightly like there is a bare mimium of voltage going to them still ....... plug in one incadecent and they stop the slight glow when "OFF"

Anyone know of this isuue in Dodges???

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default well

This is my understanding the LED bulbs don’t work with the Dakota power system well they kind of fight each other. I’m not sure on the particulars but everyone swapping to the LED bulbs have problems with them.

It depends on the bulbs you are changing some have no problems some do I was going to change out to LED bulbs till I read of people having strange problems with them so I stuck with the standard bulbs.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only bulbs that I have changed out to led are my brake and front parking lights. The only other thing that I had to change was the flasher relay cause it would sound like it was frying itself when I'd turn the blinker on.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea its strange, I have LED dome/map lights in all my cars and only the Dakota dont like em

Its got no problems with any of my trailers all of them are LED and I think the 7way has it on seperate feeds other than the lights on the truck

I wonder if putting a resistor in line will make it like it has a incandescent dome/map/cargo light in it

Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

LED's are a problem, in some models/locations, because the output from the CTM is an electronic, not a mechanical, switch. There is some leakage through the outputs. A resistor across the outputs should work.

Quick Reply: LED Dome/Cargo Light Problems