2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need Advice on my Auto Trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 04:12 PM
sxrsil3nt
|
Record Breaker
Default Need Advice on my Auto Trans

Hi guys,

My truck has pretty low mileage for the year, right now it only has 47,000 kms which is only 29,000 milies. I bought it at 40,000 kms from an elderly gentleman who always had it serviced regularly but it has never had the transmission fluid or filter replaced. It's the 42RE auto.

I've noticed that once it warms up it tends to shift hard into gear, never slips or hesitates just shifts hard, but the thing I am most concerned about is switching between gears. It almost seems like it jumps between gears. From P to D or P to R you get a violent shake, or R to D; D to R.

I'm debating about changing the fluid and filter but want some opinions first. I checked the fluid and it's red but it has been the same fluid for 10 years. My last car was an 04 Grand Prix and had a transmission FLUSH done recommended by the dealer and ultimately it killed it. I'm definately not getting it flushed again.

What do you guys think?

Old 07-02-2012 | 04:17 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i would change it. i have used rear end grease in the trany. if i was to do it again i would put half rear end grease, rest reg ATF. Qty for service fill 4.0 QTs after you clean the trans. add this to your chrysler trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-fine.html
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size reff:http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...sionfilter.asp

NEW SUBJECT: .distributor moisture fix. Any chrysler distributor cap that has an air vent, needs to have the vent plugged. Best to use JB-weld.

Old 07-02-2012 | 04:20 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

It sounds like a bad motor/transmission mount if it happens between D and R. It could be internal, maybe a band adjustment, or possibly a throttle linkage adjustment.

I'd drop the pan, change the filter, and refill if you want to go that route. That way you get to check the pan.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on my Auto Trans