2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Electrical Issue while raining??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Dakota478
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electrical Issue while raining??

First off, the truck is a 97' Dakota sport with the 3.9L v-6.
I just ran into this issue about a month ago and it is getting ridiculous.
The truck is getting good fuel, good air and good spark to Bank 2, bank 1 is not getting anything from the looks of things, took plugs out and put them in the wire socket and turned key, nothing.
I was thinking that maybe i had a bad ground or bare wire but everything else in the truck is working just fine and i cleaned up what grounds i could get to easily.
So far in my searching i havent found any bare wires, which brings me to the next thing, When it is raining AS LONG as the truck was not moving before it rained it will fire right up, once you get a few miles down the road it will spit and spudder and backfire and die and will not start back up. Im at a loss because i dont even know where to start looking again.
If anyone has any info on this situation or a helpful word of advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also the only codes it throws are Cylinder misfire and random cylinder misfire, also have high voltage at 02 sensor.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

In the distributor is the pickup plate, or camshaft position sensor. Make sure it isn't damaged and the wire harness to it is clean and tight.

Also, check the connectors into the PCM. It's weird it just seems like Bank 1.

How are the wires/plugs/cap/rotor? New?

Replace the 02 sensor and not with a Bosch.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like something shorting out; apparently there was a problem with something on my wife's old car the new owner said water would run down and get on the wire for the alt. and it would cause a short or something when it was raining and caused it to fry the ALT and battery.

Dunno if this helps or not.. just throwing it out there.. take a hose and spray real good like simulating raining.. dont forget to a shower from the front grill.. see if anything important gets wet..

Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Dakota478

The Dist cap, rotor are brand new as of last week, the plugs and plug wires are just a bit older but less than 2k miles on them.
I checked the connections to the PCM last night and all the wires in that area and all seem fine. I will deff, jump on the 02 sensor, i just got done swapping my plug wires side to side to just see if maybe somehow three of them were bad but it had no effect, the truck started right up but you could hear it missing.
I had the CPS out when i put the new rotor and cap on and it looked fine, it is the factory sensor tho, maybe replacing it is a good move anyhow?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Dakota478

I will deff try the simulation because it is firing right up today but still has a misfire, the battery is just over a month old but the alternator is factory, i do remember when i washed it last time i did spray off the underside and nothing negative happened. i will Go try the water sim. right now.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Dakota478

Well, the simulation with the water didnt cause it to die, so im wondering if its a computer issue, i know when it rains temp changes and pressure and all that stuff so maybe the computer is failing to be able to provide the necessary fuel/air requirements that it needs when it is moist out.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM
dolittle
Veteran

I would check the coil. Also the wire from the coil to the distributor.

PS My Durango had trouble stating in wet conditions it was the coil.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Dakota478

Will do, it could use a new coil anyway just to eliminate the possibility of wondering.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Badtoad

Check the Crankshaft position sensor, look for a crack on it somewhere. That was a problem on mine. OOOO And check the temp sensor.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Dakota478

I will check the CPS again, it is possible something could have happened. I still have yet to see a bad wire or ground. Im losing hope fast and have to get this thing running better.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue while raining??