2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New shocks squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ranchos are ok

My back shocks are Rancho they are ok can’t complain been on for 12 years just never decided to change them out being that I don’t use my truck very much to haul heavy things with.

Ranchos are ok just not the best

I like a stiff ride I think it’s because I had my Baja Bug for so many years that thing had the stiffest shocks I could put on it and super thick torsion bars with a custom frontend that was beefed up and loved the way it rode same with my truck before this Dakota very stiff shocks. This Dakota has been the softest of all my autos I have driven

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM
BCdakotaboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Rancho 5000 all around, good shock, decent price, more middle of the road performance. Broke both lower shock mount bolts within a couple months of installing the Ranchos, stiffer rebound than OEM I guess. Drilled out the mounts and used grade 8 bolts as replacements, haven't had an issue since.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM
durandall05
Rookie

I have been running my Bilsteins for almost a week and no squeaking. I did put lithium grease on all the rubber mounts, so I'm sure that prevented unwanted noise.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

How do you like the ride with the Bilsteins?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
durandall05
Rookie

The ride is excellent, much better than I expected from this truck. The old shocks were more than likely original with 135,000 miles so it rode very rough.

It is hard to describe how a suspension feels but now the ride is very smooth but not in a floaty sort of way. The truck feels very connected to the road but not harsh.

To me it feels about the same as a new TRD Tacoma but with a little less travel, however it has been a while since I rode in said taco. I am very happy with them and since I bought them for $70 a pop I would rate my overall happiness 10/10.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

The truck feels very connected to the road but not harsh.
Excellent description just what I would expect from a Bilstein shock

Old 11-15-2015, 11:13 AM
coldasshonky
Default chris

[/QUOTE] I just replace my shocks and I hear the same noise like birds chirping did you ever find out what the problem was[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Dakmm
Just replaced all 4 shocks on my '04 QC 4.7, with Monroe Reflex. The back shocks squeak now and I can hear it when I'm driving down the road. When it's in my driveway I can pull down on the back of the truck and hear it from the shock. It happens when the shock pushes back out from being compressed and it happens with a hard fast pull down and release, which is what is happening all of the time when driving with the bed unloaded.

Is this normal, is it the shock just "breaking in" or are these shocks defective or just crap?

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:06 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bilstein shocks are the best

I just replace my shocks and I hear the same noise like birds chirping did you ever find out what the problem was[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Get bilstein shocks they are the best. On the rear shocks put them on so the blue shock boots are at the bottom. I called bilstein too confirm this because they just bolted up better. Doesn't matter which direction how you mount them.

Quick Reply: New shocks squeaking