2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New shocks squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks squeaking

Just replaced all 4 shocks on my '04 QC 4.7, with Monroe Reflex. The back shocks squeak now and I can hear it when I'm driving down the road. When it's in my driveway I can pull down on the back of the truck and hear it from the shock. It happens when the shock pushes back out from being compressed and it happens with a hard fast pull down and release, which is what is happening all of the time when driving with the bed unloaded.

Is this normal, is it the shock just "breaking in" or are these shocks defective or just crap?

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If the rubber eyes are the problem you need to lube them up by spraying the rubber shock eyes with some silicone spray see if that helps. You may need to un bolt them and spray it on then re assemble

but if it’s the shocks themselves try some 3 in 1 or other spray lube on the shafts

Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Sorry forgot I even posted this here. It is definitely in the shocks themselves, but the cover is so tight and close to the bottom cylinder that there is no way to get any oil in there....possibly a spray straw for like WD-40 or something, but it might even be too close for that. Why do the rears always have those metal shaft covers but the fronts never do, the shaft is just exposed up front.

Regardless, I don't think/feel like I should have to lube up any part of a brand new shock, especially ones that runs almost $60 a piece.

I thought maybe they were breaking in, but it's been about 150 miles now and it still sounds like birds are chirping in my bed as I go down the road.

Does anyone else have any experience with Monroe Reflex's, are they supposed to be a decent shock? Everything I read before I bought them said they were a good light truck shock, but this squeaking/chirping is driving me nuts and pissing me off.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

I don't think the dust shield is your problem as 98dakz said the top and bottom of the shock where the bolt goes through has a rubber gromit that is where you chirping is coming from give them a spray or pull out the bolt and a little grease on it should help

Old 08-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Dakmm
Professional

No I didn't mean the dust shield was squeaking, I meant that it's so close that I can't get anything in there to spray on the shaft. It sounds like the shaft is what is squeaking.

Do the top and bottom of the shock pivot on those bolts that go through? Both the top and bottom have a metal sleeve that the bolts go through, so the bolt would just be against that metal sleeve and not the bushing.

Why would the bushing be squeaking on brand new shocks? I will give it a shot, just seems like brand new shocks/bushing shouldn't need any kind of lube.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Cool yikes

Dude start using your brains ok cut a small hole in the boot and spray some lube inside don’t use too much and a cut as high as possible would be better not down low were it may get water inside the hole. Actually most Dust boots have a small hole on the bottom to let water out use that ok.

If that doesn’t stop it then it’s the rubber eyes need lubed up remove the shocks lube them up then re install them.

This is sooooo simple yikes

If what you are worried about is losing your warrantee is bothering you just take them back and get a refund buy something different.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-26-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Listen Ahole....the dust shields are metal and come down over the lower cylinder TIGHTLY!!! If they were rubber I would've just pulled them back!! If you have nothing useful to say then I don't want to hear from you, but cut the Sh*t with the attitude, I get enough of it every day of my life in the real world.

I was more asking about opinions on the Monroe Reflex's, I put them in you don't think I could figure out how to take them out to lube...which I shouldn't have to do?? Just asking if it's happened to anyone else ever....I've installed many shocks and NEVER had this happen....but thanks for the no help you provided.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Why are you here bitching and moaning like a sissy then people that know what they are doing don’t ask such question as yours.

Do we want to hear you whining about it no

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-29-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98DakAZ, calm yourself. Here you are slamming someone and you don't even realize it has a metal dust SHIELD and not just a simple rubber boot...

To the OP, I also have Monroe Reflex shocks, front and rear and they've been pretty good. One of the rear dust shields actually broke on mine and it was rattling around. The bushings also wore out after about 2 years so I took the rears down to NAPA and had them replaced under the warrantee. Do you think both rears are squeaking or only one? Either way I think I would try and get new ones and see if they are better. Mine don't squeak and I don't think they should be. Maybe you just got a "bad batch" I'm not really sure.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

Dakmm sounds like you got your answer

The bushings also wore out after about 2 years

Sound like real winners to me 2 years is considered as quality? ha

Sounds like something I want to do replace my shocks every two years

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: New shocks squeaking