2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Performance Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM
00daksport25
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Shocks

I currently have KYB MonoMax with Moog springs up front. As of late they just dont seem to be controlling the spring rate like they used to, or I'm just getting pickier with my trucks handling

Anyway, I'm trying to get an idea of what shock would be best for me. Bilstein's perhaps? What do you guys suggest? I'm looking for something that will control the spring rate up front better and lets me corner a bit tighter.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2012, 07:20 PM
durandall05
Rookie

Buy a car?

I just installed Bilsteins on my truck and they are awesome. Truck feels connected to the road with out being harsh.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 PM
00daksport25
Veteran

My suspension is already built up: moog coil springs, energy bushing, xrf balljoints, front/rear belltech swaybars, inner/outer tierod ends, and links. It corners better than a lot of cars already, I'm just looking for something better until i decide to lower my truck in the next couple years.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Dont know what to say but Bilsteins I wonder what other shocks there may be?

How are your tires?

Maybe a wider tire or higher performance tire

Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 AM
durandall05
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00daksport25
It corners better than a lot of cars already, I'm just looking for something better until i decide to lower my truck in the
Haha no. No matter how much moog stuff you put one your heavy TRUCK it will never touch a car with comparable mods. Don't believe me? Come down to socal and I will pit my lightly modded 2.2 liter car against your truck on our local twisties or better yet autox track.

Lowering? Just no.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM
00daksport25
Veteran

I'm not saying it's a track star or anything, but it handles much better than most trucks and bone stock cars I've driven. It will never be an subaru, mitsubishi or any other ricey car out there. I know because i have a built up 85 corolla gts that corners like a beast. Let's not forget that the way a car or truck handles and reacts around a corner is highly dependant on the drivers skill.

As far as lowering it goes. I'm not going to do a simple drop. I'll be striping the suspension, installing front coil overs, three link coil over rear as well. not slamming it either...

As for weight. I plan on stripping it to nothing and replacing the entire body with light weight fiber glass. basically if i dont need it to drive then it's gone. This is a project truck and once done it'll be awesome. As for now it's my dd since my car isnt exactly street legal.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Roogiee
Amateur

I've seen different brands for different applications. I don't plan on lifting my Dakota but I wouldn't mind some 'beefier' shocks. It's main use will be highway and pothole riddled gravel roads/light off roading out in the Alberta foothills. What would be best for that application?

Last edited by Roogiee; 09-14-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
X-Raycer

I have 130K miles on the original Shocks on my '00 Sport Quad Cab and they need replacement in my opinion.
Considering my needs, no Mods, I've decided to go with the Bilsteins because of the Life Time Guarantee and my experience with them on my Miata Sports Car.
The price is reasonable too, compared to replacements for the Miata, @ $70 per corner.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have KYB Gas Adjust on mine currently not sure of age; came with the truck- Rock auto shows them as "premium" I really do not like how the truck takes a nose dive in the opposite direction of a turn.. but pretty typical of any vehicle; but I don't think its the shocks; more like sway bar just not as tight as i would like it i guess.

Quick Reply: Performance Shocks