2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5.2L Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 155 Likes on 142 Posts

Really depends on where you are at, as to what you can get. We have R&M right up the street from us in Arlington Tx, nice if you can afford it. Lots of engine shops through the country.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM
RhoadBlock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my buddy was thinking they charged about $40/hole - which lies right in line with the $300 or so you had mentioned. But when I called them they said $144 for all 8 cylinders .030 over. And I made them say it like 3 times for emphasis lol. But yeah, there's tons of great shops out there. You just got to find them.

Having a HELL of a time getting the damn vibration damper off. So I'm just gonna urn up to the auto parts store and see if they have a tool I can buy. I should have the block fully disassembled and ready to be dropped off Monday. The shop will have a lot of work to do tho - the whole exterior of the block is rusted to hell. Same with the heads. Hopefully they can hot tank it for me.

Also, there's one spark plug that's rounded out. IDK how I'm supposed to get it out, but I'll conjure up some magic. Besides the major rusty exterior, the heads appear to be in pretty good shape. Looks like I'll be able to safely re-use them.

Hopefully the stroker kit and cam will be here next week and I can get right to work when the block is ready to get picked up.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
dfeland

I have a 318 out of 1995 jeep GC that is going into a YJ and I plan on the same as you are doing. I have a 46rh tranny to go behind it. Have you picked out the cam yet? What kind of power numbers are you shooting for?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM
RhoadBlock
Rookie

Originally Posted by dfeland
I have a 318 out of 1995 jeep GC that is going into a YJ and I plan on the same as you are doing. I have a 46rh tranny to go behind it. Have you picked out the cam yet? What kind of power numbers are you shooting for?
This is the cam I went with - Hughes HUG HER1418ALN. I contacted Hughes and this is the one they recommended. I didn't want anything real aggressive. Just a MILD street cam.

I'm not really looking for any particular "numbers" per say. Mostly just a bump in HP to help muscle the heavy m/ts and the wind resistance on the interstate from my ladder rack with ladders all over it. If I was going for real numbers I'da gone with a 360-408 stroker, maybe a 427, upgraded the intake manifold, throttle body, heads, headers, more aggressive cam, etc. As much as I WANT to go ***** out, I gotta try to keep this a budget build (for the most part) so I can keep playing with my toy car in my sig. Plus I got a lot coming up in my life taking more priority.

Gonna finish disassembling the block and head this afternoon after work and get the block and heads to the machine shop tomorrow.

Last edited by RhoadBlock; 10-02-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
dfeland

Sounds great. I will be following this so make sure you put up some juicy photos. I would be curious as to the power numbers these make. I am with you, I really don't want tons of power but I am shooting for 350hp 400lbft. I will probably go with a set of RHS heads and haven't decided on exhaust yet. Keep us posted!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Stock the 318 is like 225 HP and 350 TQ right? Id like 350/450 from my build. More down low torque is what I really want though.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM
dfeland

I chose the 318 because its internally balanced and quite honestly just to be different because there are not that many around. I have read that the 5.9 is better for torque numbers at lower RPM, but mine is going in a jeep so it will have plenty of power no matter what. Currently it has a 4.6l stroked inline 6 that does fine. The recipe that is was built from makes 260hp and 325tq. It has been in the jeep for 13 years and its time for something different. I will be somewhat limited because I am keeping everything OBD1 but my 4.6 in OBD1 and as long as I don't go to crazy with the cam I should be fine.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM
RhoadBlock
Rookie

Dropped off the block and heads. Looks like the heads have no cracks and should be re-usable. Forgot to gets pics of it before hand tho :/ I wanted to show how rusty the outside of the block was. I'm terrible at taking pics. So I'll do my best to take them during the rebuild, but no promises lol. Need to pick up a new vibration damper and flex plate. Get the rotating assembly balanced. Then pick everything up and get to work.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 AM
b1llyw
Professional

Summit sells a Performance Products damper that is very reasonable that I've run with good luck. That cam will be fine with your build. The extra cubes in the stroker soak up any bad manners.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
RhoadBlock
Rookie

Welp, the machine shop called back and said the heads were no good. Once they got into them, sure enough they were all cracked between the valves. So I'll save up and pick up a set of heads. Most likely gonna go with Hughes Iron Ram heads for $800. Already preassembled, works good with the cam I got, and it's both heads for only $800. At this point I'll go ahead and port my throttle body similar to the way they do, and probably pick up a new intake plenum. May as well right??

This is slowly, slowly becoming less of a budget build and more of a mild performance build lol. So, I'll update again once I get the the new damper and flexplate in and hear back from the machine shop.

Quick Reply: 5.2L Stroker