2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5.2L Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

what's the cranking compression? Put a timing light on it to verify ignition timing? Have the fuel sync somewhere close to where it kinda-sorta should be (really shouldn't matter, will puddle on the valve and misfire, but still run if it's way out I would think)

Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 AM
RhoadBlock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compression should be 9.8:1 with the stroker kit and heads I have. I'll have to actually check compression with a gauge tonight. I could hear the compression when it was turning over with the spark plugs in though. I'll have to pick up a timing light too, but as far as I know it should still start and run, just maybe misfire or idle bad if timing was off - not simply turn over without firing up. From what I've read even being timed 180* off would start, just idle like crap.

Gonna be a long day at work with me trying to diagnose this all day long.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by RhoadBlock
Compression should be 9.8:1 with the stroker kit and heads I have. I'll have to actually check compression with a gauge tonight. I could hear the compression when it was turning over with the spark plugs in though. I'll have to pick up a timing light too, but as far as I know it should still start and run, just maybe misfire or idle bad if timing was off - not simply turn over without firing up. From what I've read even being timed 180* off would start, just idle like crap.

Gonna be a long day at work with me trying to diagnose this all day long.
check it with a gauge, make sure you're getting 180 or more.

If the ignition timing is off by alot, it'll try to fire right between the exhaust and intake strokes, and no, it won't run (it might try to chug and just not catch though).

You have spark, fuel, and air, it should run.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
RhoadBlock
Rookie

I'm retarded - I gave you compression ratio, not compression psi. I'll check compression as well tonight. Pull plugs, check the cylinders. Somethings not adding up and it's got me confused. I'll report when I get home from work.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM
magnethead
Legend

you said you had fuel at the rail- are you sure the injectors are firing?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM
RhoadBlock
Rookie

No not certain. Another thing I was planning to check when I get home. Is there a reason they wouldn't be? Like having to "prime" them too, or something?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by RhoadBlock
No not certain. Another thing I was planning to check when I get home. Is there a reason they wouldn't be? Like having to "prime" them too, or something?
the PCM has to tell them to fire. That said, it's firing the coil, so I don't see why it wouldn't be firing the injectors...even if the fuel sync was way off, it should still be pushing fuel.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM
RhoadBlock
Rookie

Man I don't know what the issue is. I checked timing with a timing light, timing appears to be good. I pulled the fuel rail, injectors are in fact firing. I pulled spark plugs, I'm getting spark. I don't what why it won't start. I'm completely stumped.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 PM
AnthonyMo
Amateur

Have someone crank the engine while fine tuning the timing at the distributor (by turning it back and forth)
Des it try and catch or just turn? Any vacuum leaks?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Really sounds like it's 180 out. Stick your finger in the #1 plug hole and bump the engine until you feel compression. Then pull of the distributor cap and make sure it's pointing in the right direction.

Quick Reply: 5.2L Stroker