2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brakes Pulse While Stopped 98 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
jasonmalone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Pulse While Stopped 98 Dakota

1998 Dakota base v6 3.9. Runs like a charm. My brakes are pulsing when I am coming to a stop and stopped while holding the break. This does not happen at every stop.

I recently replaced the rear wheel speed sensor, and from that time onward the issue has persisted.

If I remove the fuses for the ABS system, the problem goes away. I am guessing it is related to the ABS from that. Brakes were fine before the part was replaced, but the ABS/Brake lights were on in the dash and speedometer was non functional below 35mph.

Should I just disable the ABS? What can replace or repair that will make the sensation go away. I was planning to bleed the brake lines and see if that helped.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

I sure wouldn't want to disable my ABS. It's there for a reason. That being said, I would check a couple things. I have a 01 Dakota SLT with the rear ABS. When/if my brakes start to pulse (i've heard these trucks are notorious for this issue) I have them checked to if the brakes are worn down. And in some case it's the front pads.

The other item I would check is this: If you have gone through any mud puddles (I'm talkin four wheel type mud puddles) I would have your rear brakes flushed with a good brake cleaner. I went through deep mud holes to get to my favorite fishing spot. These puddles have more of a clay bottom to them. When I came out, my brakes would lock up on me when coming to a stop. I took it to Les Schwab and when they removed my rear drums and sprayed them with brake cleaner under pressure, you should have seen the crap that came off of them.

I would have done this flushing myself but I wasn't close to home.

Man.....the things and places I'll go through just to catch a nice salmon from a river.

Anyway, that's my two (2) cents. And experience that I've had with my brakes.

Good Luck!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
00daksport25
Veteran

Warped rotors perhaps?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
jasonmalone

I agree that I prefer NOT to disable the ABS, but the issue does not exist when the ABS is disabled. I am wondering if it is the ABS pump is either not working or damaged, but not really sure how tio test that.

To recap:
1. Brakes work fine, passed inspection no issues
2. The pulsing ONLY happens with vehicle at stop as the pedal seems to pulse as it gets closer to the floor
3. The pulsing did not happen BEFORE repairing the Rear Wheel Peed Sensor
4. The pulsing goes away if the ABS fuse is pulled.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
jasonmalone
Default Problem still exists

I have done the following:
-updated all brakes, front and rear with new parts
-Bled brake line

The pulsing feels like a pressure drop in the pedal, it happens while at a full stop, or when coming to a long stop with minimal pressure on the pedal.

I have not experienced an trouble braking, it stops as expected each time, I am just concerned I am overlooking a potentially dangerous issue.

Is there something I can test to rule out the ABS system, or component by component.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

4 wheel or RWAL?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your brake lines, for leaks and/or low brake fluid.

Had this exact problem a couple weeks ago, turns out my drum brake shoes were in need of replacement. My brake lines were failing (and then completely failed when tested in the shop). When the brake fluid got low from the leaks, they'd pulse.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You said you replaced everything in the front and back list what you did so we know.

Sounds like warped rotors to me.

My brakes do this at times but usually clear up after a stop or two

Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM
sl2racer
Veteran

i guess everyone is missing this only happens when abs fuse is in. if he removes the fuse for the abs and disables the abs the problem does not exist. there for it is a problem with the abs system. my guess is a sensor that is not reading correctly and maybe noticing a different wheel speed.

do you have 4wd or 2wd. do you have rear only abs or front and rear abs?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
jasonmalone

it is 2WD; rear abs only, I believe.

The brakes were a complete job, replacing everything (drum, shoes, caliper, rotors, boots, etc.) and bleeding the brake lines.

This issue ONLY happens when the ABS fuse is in and the vehicle is at a complete or near complete stop at very low speed with the brake pedal not fully applied.

Quick Reply: Brakes Pulse While Stopped 98 Dakota