2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New-2" Body lift

Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
devlindak84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-2" Body lift

hey, and thanks for reading,.. new to DF

Ive got a 2003 dakota sport 4.7L 4x4 standard. It has a fuel economy chip from superchips, k & n air filter, headers, flowmaster exhaust.

Im doing a 2" body lift from performance accesories soon. has anyone else done this lift? any problems i should be aware of? it says 8-10 hr install on the box.

I also plan to put on 285/75/r16 (33") cooper stt tires on the stock rims.
has anyone done this? and if so how did the 33's fit on the truck?

thanks for any input!
Jason

Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

Jason, I will move your post to the 2nd Gen Dakota section.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:38 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

33's might be a bit close when you turn but with the lift everything else should be fine I believe.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm not sure about the 2 inch BL, but I just did the 3 inch and overall it was easy except for the steering extension. I had to grind down the end of it to fit inside the end closest to the yoke.

And because you have the 4.7 I'm pretty sure youre gonna need to extend the lower rad hose.

Overall pretty simple installation, disconnect your brake lines if there isn't a lot of slack. I left mine on.

I know 33's will fit with minimal rub with a 3 inch body lift, so a 2 inch one will probably fit with rub too. I stayed with my 31's because they are less than a year old.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 AM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

33's might be tight, mine rub on hard turns and that's with a 3" bl and 3" suspension lift. Keep an eye on the spare tire rod,it won't line up with the hole above the bumper after you do the bl. I removed mine, added a spacer block,then bolted it back together. Fan shroud will need to be notched out as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM
mmguy18
Veteran

Did a 3 inch on my 2000. Did the work my self took me about 14 hrs so with some help should be due able in about 8 hrs. 4.7's you have to extend the lower hose to allow clearance for the fan. I went to parts store and bought a hose repair kit. The kit came with a metal sleeve to do this I didn't care for it. The radiator shroud on the bottom will have to be cut a little for clearance. Steering shaft was a little rough getting off the rack. Had to take the bolt out and were it is split spread it apart. Went back on pretty easy.

Something else to consider. While you have the bolts out and everything lifted to install the blocks in you may want to consider new cab bushings.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM
devlindak84

It's actually a 3" bl my mistake. Everything went really well for a while, all blocks in, the kit includes spaders for the tire winch, didn't need to extend the shifter, brake lines stayed on. things looking good. With the box off we changed sway bar Links, shocks, fuel pump (was whining on a long road trip, so I figured...why not). Everything good,..
until,...we realized that the aftermarket headers that came with the truck, we're now in the way of the steering linkage. So now she sits. I Have found only one header by flow tech that doesn't have the big stupid loop on it and should work. Ordering those if my dads co worker and pro welder/fabricator/racecar builder can't make it work. I'm betting she will be on the streets tonight. Time will tell .

Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

If the header is in the way, just clearance it :P

Not sure what loop you speak of, but I'm going to guess EGR?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 PM
devlindak84

There is a loop on the header that is in the way of the steering u joint. Going to modify the loop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New-2" Body lift