2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What do you think.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM
logancounterman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think.

I just got a 97 dakota sport 4x4. 3.9 v6 engine. 161,000 miles.

It has a problem though at i cant seem to figer out. I got it off my aunt. she was driving it and stopped at a light and it shut off and just would crank nothing else no smoke not weird sounds. she had the crank sensior changed and the one in the dis.. nothing though it just cranks. we changed the spark plugs cap and rotor. checked the fuel pressure its good. Could the timimg have jumped. or could it be the computer the only reason i say computer is becasue one time we had it run at full pedal for a sec was coppy then reved up. then shut off and only cranking. it does run but its really coppy for acouple seconds at full pedal then it shuts off.

any info will be great.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the cat. could be plugged. had a 92 that did this and that's what it turned out to be

Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

Originally Posted by RYCOMA79
check the cat. could be plugged. had a 92 that did this and that's what it turned out to be
when cranking theres alot of air coming out of the exhast though.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM
RYCOMA79
Professional

do you know you have spark? what about fuel pressure? check the auto shutdown relay by swapping it out for another one. start there and see what you find. The symptoms sound the same there was exhaust gases coming out of my pipe as well just not enough for it to run.

Last edited by RYCOMA79; 10-03-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
logancounterman
Veteran
Exclamation

do you know you have spark? what about fuel pressure? check the auto shutdown relay by swapping it out for another one. start there and see what you find. The symptoms sound the same there was exhaust gases coming out of my pipe as well just not enough for it to run.
do you know you have spark? Yes i have good spark. what about fuel pressure? Fuel pressure is fine and correct. check the auto shutdown relay by swapping it out for another one. I checked it by swaping it out and jumped it as it wasnt there. I checked the cat. and it doesn't have any kind of coloring change. i,ve seen them when they get blocked up and theres nowhere on the exhast that looks like that.. So im back to that the timing jumped or the computer is junk. idk what else it could be..

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
benred

Hey i'm benred i have a 2000 durango and it takes 2 or 3 hrs to crank at times i know the fuel pump i hear it and i press the valve so it's getting to the motor i use to spray starter fluid in the breather and it would fire right up but now it takes hrs to crank any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

does it seem as the motor is turning over very easy or like only half of it is turning over. my 92 jumped and destroyed the top end could be a possibility

Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
benred

It's turning over fine it's seems like it's not getting gas

Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 PM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coil? Had same problem with my 5.9 twice. Had spark but apparently not good spark. Changed the coil and ran fine

Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 AM
logancounterman
Veteran

does it seem as the motor is turning over very easy or like only half of it is turning over. my 92 jumped and destroyed the top end could be a possibility
i dont think its that jumped i think its jumped a tooth or two..

Quick Reply: What do you think.