2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 4.7 V8 Dakota is making Knocking/Ticking Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
ArchangelLex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Take the belt off and run it for about a min. Do this when the engine isnt hot. This way you will know if its the water pump,ac,tensioner ect. What oil are you running in it?
Ill check it with out the belt tonight. I am running 5-30 in it. I just put some mystery oil in it on my way home from work tonight to see if that dd anything. No change yet.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
ArchangelLex

Took the belt off and still heard the noise :-/

Old 10-27-2012, 11:01 PM
blu_by_u

Have you had any luck finding the source of the tick? My wife's Jeep Commander 4.7L has a tick too. I just recently started looking on the internet to see what might be the cause and found: broken exhaust manifold studs, valve adjusters, or timing chain tensioners/guides.

We bought this Jeep new in late '06. I changed the oil myself (that way I know it gets done) and have used Mobil 1 5w30 every 3-4k miles since new. I use the Mopar oil filter found at Walmart.....probably not the best oil filter but it can't be worse than a Fram. The Jeep has around 135k miles on it now. Not sure when the ticking started.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing chain tensioner?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
corpusfisherman
Rookie

Originally Posted by horatio102
Timing chain tensioner?
I've lost a couple motors due to this issue.....if it is a suspected cause of the ticking, it's better to get that job done before the tensioners get hung up in the slack and pop the chain, or even worse, what I got to experience, was either a broken crankshaft or a bunch of bent valves and a head-job.....

hope it's just a sticky lifter!
ccfish

Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 PM
blu_by_u

Here's a link to a post in another forum that gives a few possibilities of what could be causing the ticking noise.

Corpusfisherman, wow multiple major engine failures? How much teardown do you have to do to replace the timing chain tensioners? Is it much more effort to replace the chain? Seems like that wouldn't be a bad idea while I was in there.

Quick Reply: 03 4.7 V8 Dakota is making Knocking/Ticking Sound.