2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My truck doesn't exist!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:00 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just a label.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakmm
What do you mean engine maker? Magnum's are made by somebody different than Power Tech's?

I'm just asking if "Magnum" actually means anything or if it's just a name. Is there any actual difference in an engine called a Magnum or one called a Power Tech?

Just trying to find out what it means, not saying anyone is right or wrong.
As stated it was just a miss label on the intake most likely due to being made by a different factory (possibly even another country) other than Dodge which didn't have all the correct info. Or they just used the same design or at least the same mold as the older intakes. I guess some dealers may have put it on the window stickers not knowing anything. Most of they actually don't know much of what they sell.

Magnums are 92-93 they are based on the 50's?-91 LA engines. They basically are a high performance LA engine. If your a Chevy guy the LA's were the old dog Chevy small block engines pre Vortec 90's. The Vortec was the same as the Magums as a HP Chevy small block engine. All the above are push rod single cam engine.

The Power Techs is a completely different engine, not based on the Magnusms or the LA's at all. Just like the Hemi's are different as well. The Power Tech's are dual over head cam.

Now if you need more info on engine history lessons try www.Wikipedia.com or www.Allpar.com

Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ok so the Magnum's were pushrod engines then? Makes sense.

Thanks Crazy4X4RT. I checked out a lot of your links on the DIY thread too, a lot of awesome info, thanks for that.

Any info on what they call the "Semi-Hemi", is that real thing and which engines were if it was an actual thing?

Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dakmm
Oh ok so the Magnum's were pushrod engines then? Makes sense.

Thanks Crazy4X4RT. I checked out a lot of your links on the DIY thread too, a lot of awesome info, thanks for that.

Any info on what they call the "Semi-Hemi", is that real thing and which engines were if it was an actual thing?

Thanks again.
Here, I got this.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Thanks for posting that but I know this cool site that is specifically for Dodge owners and enthusiasts, you know to talk about stuff, find different things out and educate themselves.

Why do you bother coming to this site if you can just use Google and be all knowing??

I belong to multiple site's for all kinds of cars and boats and there is always some Ahole who thinks he's hot **** and can't be bothered and tells people to use Google.

THE SITE IS FOR PEOPLE TO ASK QUESTIONS AND HAVE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT.......GET THIS.......DODGE'S.

Thanks for nothing.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

I certainly don't fall into any of those categories. however answering the same question numerous times gets extremely old. Do a search in the forums and i'll bet you'll find your questions answered multiple times.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Buddy, nobody asked you to answer it even once, you don't want to answer go click the next thread and bug somebody else.

Plus your answer of it being only a label never once mentioned Magnum's being pushrod engines.

There would be nothing to search if people didn't come on here and ask questions and have discussions.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Right. I thought I addressed that portion of your question but apparently I forgot. Well the Magnum engines did have pushrods, a new high pressure fuel system, and a higher compression ratio than the original LA engines. A majority of the parts between the LA and the Magnum engines were interchangeable. Yadda yadda There were big changes between the LA and the Magnums, see here.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
glhall1960
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SXT and the Magnum debacle...

SXT is just a trim line. When it first came out it was just a base model with a 'no extra charge' CD player, along with a few other minor frills and badging. It has now grown into the 'luxury' trim within the Dodge car lines, between the base model 'SE' and the 'R/T'.

The Chrysler 'LA' V8 engine debuted in 1964 as the 273. It soon evolved into the 318, 340, 360 and later the 3.9L V6. It received major updates and became the "Magnum" in '91 for the '92 model year and continued in production until phased out in 2003-04. The only interchangeable part between the LA engines and Magnums is the crank, and even that has a different part number.

Last edited by glhall1960; 09-23-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: missing info

Quick Reply: My truck doesn't exist!!