2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Raising front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Camoman51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising front end

Is there an easy cost effective way to raise the front of My 2003 Dakota ext cab 4x4 sport?

I just want to level out the truck. The back sits just a little higher that the front.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM
00daksport25
Veteran

Crank up your torsion bars.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM
johndcarter1981

If you live in an area where rust is a problem, you may want to check out the torsion bar bolts. I tried to crank mine without heating it up and I actually broke the bolt. When that bolt breaks and the truck isn't up on jackstands (my stupid idiotic mistake) it sounds like a shotgun going off and the truck drops in a hurry. Two guys in my shop came running full speed because they thought I was squished. The bolt itself only cost $8 (dealership only price because the head of the bolt is small compared to the shaft, and there is a guide washer that needs to seat) and I was able to salvage the rest (the block of metal that the bolt threads into, which is basically a solid cylinder of steel with a threaded hole through it) If I wasn't able to salvage the threaded cylinder, it would have cost me $50 for that part (dealership price) When you actually go to adjust them, make sure to turn each bolt about 1/4 turn at a time, and measure, measure, measure. There is nothing worse then adjusting them both, and looking at your truck a week later and noticing that the driver's side is an inch and a half higher than the passenger side lol

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By all means raise the front end off the ground. I dont care if you have brand new bolts they will snap if all the weight is on the front end. A 1/4 turn at a time will take you FOREVER to get it level. I cranked my sides about 20 turns each(which comes out to about 8-10 spins of the bolt) sat the truck down bounced the front end a few times then measured the difference. I think I went a few more turns to get it just right. I was done in about 10 min. Dont forget to get a alignment afterwards.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you should tell the idiots that you cranked them.. else youll be like me 2 alignments later and it's still screwed up.. LOL

Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
you should tell the idiots that you cranked them.. else youll be like me 2 alignments later and it's still screwed up.. LOL
Same thing for me, I did the tie rod end links at the same time and had to get it aligned twice because it steered right after the first one, you think they'd take it out for a test to make sure. A free alignment analysis from Tires Plus and back I went to get it realigned haha.

Quick Reply: Raising front end