2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

a/c leak on floor(drip tube elbow mod already performed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM
sl2racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c leak on floor(drip tube elbow mod already performed.

ok anyone else know what to do or to look for if the a/c still leaks on the passenger floor board? i did the plastic 90 degree elbow mod to the drip tube in the engine bay and water does come out of it. yet i still seem to be getting water on the floorboard after using the a/c...

Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

My guess it’s partially plugged up with dirt and leaves and backs up just enough to still drip inside even with water coming out the drip line try vacuuming the line out.

You may have a hole in the box don’t know how that could happen but it’s a possibility look for any holes in the box

Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

well it is still dripping out the drip pipe and i don't see any holes or leaks. i'm going to have to pull the carpet back to see if i can get a better look.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:56 PM
sl2racer
Veteran

ok water is dripping from 90 degree elbow and no water running back to firewall in engine bay. no clog either i used a hose and filled the hvac with water and then attached filled hvac and hose to vacuum and sucked it out fast. no debre was noted and sucked hvac dry. i pulled up carpet and it was wet. that foam soaked up a lot of water. also i cut the rubber and foam away from where the drip tube goes through the firewall to engine bay.

i ran a/c and a small drip appeared from the firewall drip tube location inside truck. look under truck and 90 elbow in drip tube is dripping like it should with no water running back to firewall.

any thoughts?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

well looks like i will be pulling the whole dash and the hvac system out to see what the problem is. my guess is there is going to be a crack in the tube unless anyone else has some other ideas.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Wink Take a bunch of Pic's will ya Please

Keep us informed as to what you find I’m interested.

Take a bunch of Pic's will ya Please

Old 11-07-2012, 04:02 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Are you sure it only leaks running the A/C not water getting in some other way?

Like the windshield?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM
jake7
All Star

I'm currently having the same issue. I had pipes/tubes etc blown out and that doesn't seem to be causing the issue. I'll be taking it to a local shop tomorrow for them to look at it...i'll let you know what they find and maybe that'll help you out!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

no pictures were taken however i did locate the problem. the drip tube itself is had cracked all the way back to the housing. last night i put 2 part epoxy on it and let it set up overnight. going to start reassembling this morning. and i gridded down the outer diameter of the elbow so it fits even looser in the drip tube. it will also get a healthy amount of silicone to set the elbow and around the firewall so it shouldn't happen again.

dash removal should be done with 2 people in case anyone is wondering. i got most of it out by myself but had to phone a friend near the end. also no where was i able to find the info but there is a half a dozen nuts on the firewall in the engine bay that hold the hvac unit in place. also be aware you have to discounnect your a/c lines and heater hoses to also perform this. so be prepared to have to refill you a/c system after.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

No pictures why? This would help so many people

Did you open the box up to see how full of dirt and leaves were in it? or clean it out?

Did you think about replacing the fan or other parts like heater core if you went through all that hassel to get it out the fan should at least be replaced as they cause the most problems at $40 its worth it.

Quick Reply: a/c leak on floor(drip tube elbow mod already performed.