2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ticking sound at startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What oil you running and whats the low temp at night when the truck sits. Im sure its lifters. It used to happen with my dakota every once and awhile.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I run Castrol; I use the Mopar Oil filter; unless they are out of stock then i go with Wix.. and before i get flammed on my choice of oil; its just what I've always ran. Some ppl hate it some ppl love it... and before I'm asked; Oil levels are good.

Temps; well last time it happened a few days ago it was in the 70's-80's range.. last night i cranked up to run to the store (it was like 57 out side) and it did not do it.

I also park in the garage... so the temp reading is going to be a little warmer than outside in the elements...

Other than the notorious shimmy;shake; or what ever you want to call it right off idle.. the truck runs great; actually she's running in the past few months better than she ever has.. I can actually say I 'Like my truck again' if that says anything. Lots of power.. and my buddies 5.0L Ford SXT that is kicking like 300+ HP has a hard time staying with me..

Thanks guys.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont worry about oil brand. Every guy has their own(I run valvoline or rotella) Are you running conventional or synthetic? Also what weight? The whole oil thing has been gone over by every single forum on the net. Everyone says fram oil filters are junk yet ive ran on on our old 95 jeep grand cherokee since it was new had 216k on it when I sold it last year. I run fram on our 04 grand since it was new with 112k on it. As far as my truck goes it runs napa fleetguard filters.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I think the Napa; FOMOCO (FORD); Mopar all use WIX for their filters anyways.. but I use the 10W 30 as the truck calls for; for my temp range.. Conv. I dont use Syth.

As far the oil thing with it being colder and it not ticking it would make sence; being the oil would be a little thicker and at a lower temp.. I guess. Just odd how it just recently started doing it. I wonder if maybe one of the lifters is not getting enough lubrication and that's why there is not enough oil staying behind perhaps or just lack of lubrication.. Maybee I'm putting too much thought into it.

She's running really good so i might not worry with it unless it gets worse. Thanks guys.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Well actually the only remaining things on my list..

1. Engine Mounts
2. Alignment -to fix prior 2 Alignments that Fire Stone Screwed up on. (Might get this done this weekend)
3. New Head Liner..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
2. Alignment -to fix prior 2 Alignments that Fire Stone Screwed up on.
Do you wait in the waiting room, or watch over their back?

Anytime I go there, I make sure the guy doing my truck knows I do race and I know how **** works, and wether it's shop policy or not, 99% of the time, I'm in the bay with the tech. I don't get them a chance to screw up.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Nope in the shop this go round.. or they don't touch it and i demand my money back.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound at startup